adjustable pivot ball

trickey1

SPTN VNM
Established Member
I'm installing an Mcleod adjustable pivot ball but when I screw it all the way in it's a little more than half an inch longer than the stock pivot ball. Do I need to cut it down?

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
i read about people installing them without the nut maybe? make sense? i've never seen one.

i'm hoping to be able to install my mcleod without using one... i'll cut open the opening to make room for the throwout bearing "lever" if needed...

trickey1

SPTN VNM
Established Member
Doesn't sound right, check your part.

When the adjustable pivot ball is screwed all the way in it sticks out a half inch farther than my stock one did. I read some articles on other forums and some people mentioned cutting them down but said it depends on the set up. Also are u familiar with the 2.75" distance? Does that also depend on the set up as well?

trickey1

SPTN VNM
Established Member
i read about people installing them without the nut maybe? make sense? i've never seen one.

i'm hoping to be able to install my mcleod without using one... i'll cut open the opening to make room for the throwout bearing "lever" if needed...

Something happened to my stock set up that allowed my tob to ride against my pressure plate. I installed a quadrant and firewall adjuster with a new cable and tob but still had the issue. I'm currently upgrading clutch,pressure plate,flywheel,input shaft, adj pivot ball, with a new tob arm so I hope to get rid of that issue once and for all!!!

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
It all depends on where your clutch arm sits within the opening. If the TOB is against the pressure plate, the clutch arm needs to be no farther forward than half way in the opening. If it sits too far forward at rest, you will run out of movement (the clutch arm will be all the way forward) before the clutch is disengaged. In this example, a longer pivot is needed.

If the clutch arm is all the way back at rest (TOB is against pressure plate), then the pivot is too long and needs to be shortened.

You can probably get a thinner nut (which is used for locking the setting in place), but if even that is too thick, you could go with some red locktite on the threads to lock in a setting. I'd experiment without the locktite until you find the sweet spot. Then measure how much the pivot is screwed in, remove it, apply the locktite, then srew it back in to your measurement. I'd give it at least an hour to dry before driving. Just remember that you will need to put a torch on the base of the pivot to remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread