Adding KB 2.2 - Advice appreciated!

da28fan

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I'm new here, a 48-year old guy who acts like he's 18 again when I get behind the wheel of my 03 Cobra. It's a screaming yellow ragtop with a lighted rollbar, Bassani X and cat-back, 2.73 pulley, 100mm idlers, Accufab throttle body/plenum, inlet pipe, MAF, K&N, H&R lowering springs, Diablosport Predator tuner, short-throw shifter, QA1 shocks, etc. (Also being advised to get a SPEC 3+ clutch and will do so).

Anyway, I just bought a 2.2 KB polished blower (in the mail!). I'm going to go with e85. I'm planning on dual fuel pumps, either 340 or Ford GT pumps and harness. Getting rid of the Diablosport and bought an SCT flash tuner. I'm being advised to get 105lb injectors instead of the 80lb, and I'm fine with that. But from your experiences, what setup would you recommend? e85 is plentiful here and pump gas over 91 is very difficult to find, thus going with e85.

Would you go with 80 or 105lb injectors?

Should I go with dual GT supercar pumps or 340 pumps?

Do I need to replace the fuel line as well because of the alcohol content in e85 fuel?

Anything else I'm missing?

Again, thanks for your feedback. Looking forward to getting to the mid 600s in HP, hopefully at least. I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how to!

swt99svt

Established Member
Forget the GT and 340s... Go for the Walbro 400s. GTs, depending on who you talk to, will say they're prime for return but not returnless. 340s and the Stryker pumps appear to not be so road worthy, depending on again, who you talk to. Walbro 400s in a dual hat and you're done. 80s with the 2.2 should be fine.

As for lines, if you're going the route you are, time to upgrade to return and bypass all the modified FPDM and returnless BS. You'll end up going return anyway. Save yourself time and money and do it right the first time. Upgrade to the return system, avoid Fragola stainless and go the black braided to avoid the fumes. You can read all you want but the POVs are a dime a dozen. Some say teflon and others say Fragola does fine. I'm going Fragola lines as they're tried and true. Also, don't forget the fuel rails.

Plug, tune, and play. Enjoy the 600rwhp club!

da28fan

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Going "return"?

Thank you both! Guess I have more research to do, as return vs. returnless does not mean anything to me. But it will when I'm done researching. I'll also look into those Walbro 400 pumps too. Friends of mine that are better mechanics than I am say we could modify the existing fuel hat to accomodate the dual pumps, but I'm open to an alternative if you'd be kind enough to recommend one! Is there some kind of fuel system upgrade kit you would recommend, or is this just something you buy piecemeal? Either way, I'll do it! I'm learning as I go though. Thanks for the welcome. I've always shared what I learn and will return the favor to others.

03REDWHINE

Established Member
I agree with both above post go with a return style setup and never look back. I had a dual walbro pump return style setup on my 03 cobra and it worked great, i ordered my return kit from lethal performance and got the fore hat dual walbro pumps, lines,fittings, and fuel pressure regulator at a great deal. With my kb2.2 @ 17psi and 60lb inj i made 620rwhp on 93 i only wish we had e85 here in nc so i could have tried it on the corn. pm if you have any questions and good luck with your build :beer:

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Cobras use a "returnless" system, its very complex and expensive to modify. Instead of having a regulator to regulate fuel pressure it has a number of electrical components to control pump speed and pressure. A return system the pump runs wide open all the time and what ever fuel it doesn't use just comes back to the tank to be used again. This is a short way to explain it but hopefully it helps

Ukfox89

Established Member
105lb injectors? i just installed a 2.8H kennebell and went with 80s. i cant believe it would require 105lb injectors for a e85 tune.

da28fan

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Ok, did some research. I do see the "return" kit and will get it. Last question I have is still on injector size. With a KB 2.2, this return fuel system with dual pumps, SCT tune, etc., should I take a chance on 80lb or be safe with 105lb? Someone told me that if I run too small of an injector I can cook the engine? Is that true? Thanks SO much!

runsonboost

Established Member
80's will be fine, they should support a touch over 700rwhp on E85. Basic KB 2.2 setups on E85 (stock heads, cams and comp. ratio) dont make 700. I am shooting for 675rwhp with my 2.2, but I have a higher comp. ratio.

as for the pumps, if I had it to do over again I would have just gone return. I will be running twin 340's, 2 FPDMS, full wiring upgrade, -8 fuel lines (Fragola), stock rails and 80's. Good luck with your build, so many different combos its hard to decide sometimes.

da28fan

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Decision - but is that your final answer? LOL

Thank you SO much for all your advice. I like it here and really appreciate it. I'm taking your advice and going with a "return" system, from Lethal Performance. (just have to tell my wife it costs like 100 bucks!) I'll also do the 80lb injectors. KB arrives tomorrow, along with the SCT tuner!

Dudes, I'm stoked!!! And I haven't even been drinking too much (yet)! I'd be thrilled with 650 rwhp, but kind of hoping my Accufab TB, plenum, and K&N/MAF will squeak me out a couple more! I really wanted over 700, but couldn't justify the 10 grand in expense. This will be 1/2 that, but at least I'm set up for later if I decide to do the KB 2.8LC. I'll let you know how it goes!

runsonboost

Established Member
600rwhp is getting too easy with these cars. Breaking 700 wheel starts getting expensive. If you go with the Lethal kit I would get the Walbro 400lph pumps. 2 of those will support massive power and you wont have to upgrade again if you get a bigger blower. You wont be disappointed with the 2.2, that little guy screams.

Even if you are planning to go bigger later I would still go with the 80's. They will probably tap out about 725rwhp or so, but anything bigger can sometimes be a little difficult to tune, and if your swapping blowers the injectors are really easy to change if you need more. Have Fun!

Users who are viewing this thread