Adding a snake to the stable

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Hi again all, been a while since I posted here lol..

Looks like I'm getting my wife into a 97 Cobra 'vert next week, it's Crystal White/Tan leather like my 94 with a tan top..

Any major issues to watch for? It has 119K miles on it, only mods are Flowmasters, Tunable Induction intake, XCal3, suspension mods, and a fresh KC clutch. The motor runs seemingly perfectly, everything works and there is no ticking..

The bads: The leather wrap on the steering wheel is gone (Cobra airbag is present), the wheels gotta go ASAP (sticking my old stock 94 Cobra wheels on temporarily most likely), and the top when down seems to expose the inner workings more than her old '96 vert did.. not sure what's up with that but we have a boot for it so whatever..

We're probably going to end up paying 7500ish for it, the guy doesn't want to come down any more and it is overall in good shape. The paint is really good for its age, it has probably been garaged a lot.

I am aware of most SN95 common problems but this will be our first 4V..

What do you all think it will dyno at with the very minor mods on it? 270's? It would be nice to eke 300 out of it without going into the heads :)

Thanks for any comments!

19984V

Established Member
270s maybe depending on how well the motor has held up and maybe more or less on different dynos.

7500 is fair, i bought mine with 132k on it for 7500 and i don't regret it for a second.

Steering wheel - thats normal
Wheels - stocks ones suck

You can make 300 rwhp with IMRC deletes, shortrunner intake, plus other normal bolt ons. I think you would be lucky to hit 290s with intake and tune only.
Either way, enjoy your 4V you will love it!

Edit: if it doesnt have subframes get some! they start to sag in the middle a bit after old age

Last edited:

SVTCobra306

Established Member
LOL stock wheels kinda suck but the ones that are on it are tuner wheels.. like 17X7's, they have 245's on and they bulge :fail:

bluebullitt256

Established Member
7500 is pretty steep for that many miles and nearly no mods....i paid not a whole bunch more for my 96 with 21k miles...just somethin to think about. i would proly give about 6500-7k for it.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Meh, it's in good enough shape, already has springs, CAI, and exhaust along with sidescoops and an Xcal.. got him to 7300 so we're picking it up tomorrow.. it's all over but the title signing now! :)

Here it is as it sits in his driveway:

Johns20mustang20006.jpg

Johns20mustang20009.jpg

For those familiar with Tunable Induction aka Densecharger, we're getting the car from John Demolet who used to build them (he sold the business also a few months ago).

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Well we picked it up today.. got a pretty good deal due to the fact it needs a bit of work, gotta pull the intake to clean the IMRC's, they are throwing a stuck closed code. While I'm in there I'll replace the thermostat, and it needs a fan (getting a bit warm for me).. lucky me I have an extra SN95 fan laying around LOL, and I'll make sure the EGR is clean and working. It's tempting to just delete the IMRC's while I'm at it..

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
ahahah car looks siick, i will only say to ditch those wheels tho, and actually these run hot and apparently the gauge from the factory is very inaccurate...u just need to turn the fan on sooner thru the xcal tuner..then she will run a little cooler..and clean or delete the IMRCs, if u do delete them a tune is in order tho! nice car..goodluck and congrats

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Aright.. so according to my IR thermo it's running right at 200-205, so that's not bad. The fans come on when told to, but looks like the cooling system is working well enough to keep that from happening.. I will likely start the low speed at 195 to make me feel better and see how the car likes it. I have an Xcal tuner so that's no problem :)

Intake runners are filthy.. that'll all be off shortly and getting cleaned :)

Users who are viewing this thread