addicted to modding and pissing the old lady off

bleedout

Established Member
so as im sure most of you on here are, im always modding my cars. it never stops and i cant help it. i currently have a 2v valve that im building and fedex and UPS have been coming on a regular basis lately delivering small odds and ends and seats. but lately its been pissing the GF off pretty good. shes bitchin at me askin why am i spending all my money on the damn stang, why didnt I just keep the Cobra, why, why ,why..... I really dont think that many women get the reason us guys mod our sports cars, make them faster, handle better ect. and then you always get the, why are you spending all your time working on your car instead of spending time with me. i have to ration my time in the garage to keep the GF happy and content. which the main goal is to keep her happy , however when i get motivated to do something i have to finish it. right now i have all my nitrous parts ready and its killin me not to be installing it and im goin to the track on the 30th, not much time. so lets hear from all of you regarding this modding and GF/wife matter?:beer:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
She's a girlfriend? No offense, but as far as I'm concerned, they have absolutely no say in what you spend your money on until they're a fiance or wife.

As long as you keep a reasonable balance to the time you spend with her and the time you spend on your hobbies, she shouldn't really complain in my opinion.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
get rid of bitchy GF, be happy modding car and drinking beer and f**king strippers.

chrisheltra

Established Member
She bitching about the money you spend on your car because she would rather you spend that money on a ring for her. I say give her the boot and find one that has similar interests as you.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I really dont think that many women get the reason us guys mod our sports cars, make them faster, handle better ect. and then you always get the, why are you spending all your time working on your car instead of spending time with me.

So, I take it you know why you do what you do. Try practicing explaining it to us. It might help you explain it to her in a way she can understand.

If she's just your GF and she doesn't understand you then either she doesn't know you very well or she is controlling. Either way do not marry this woman 'casue you will never hear the end of it, ever. Or you will have to choose to severely limit or give up on this hobby to maintain your marriage and your sanity.

You're better off finding a woman that will respect you for who you are, but you better know who you are for that to happen.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Run run far away now. Been there done that.

This.

I've been through this situation more than once. I've had a gf tell me she loved that I was so passionate about a hobby, but then a year later, would bitch and moan when I was in the garage working too late and couldn't come see her. Or I wanted to go away for a weekend for some off-roading in the Jeep and she didn't want to go with me. It really wears you down. I've even let gf's sway my opinion when buying and selling cars, which was a huge mistake.

Bottom line is, like said above, she is your gf and really has no say on how you spend your money. I've had gf's bitch to me about that too and I really didn't care. They'd just rather you spend it on dinners for them and other crap. Sorry, but I work hard for my paycheck and I'll spend it on whatever I damn well please.

It's not like you are in the garage all the time. Why doesn't she find a hobby to do while you are working? Can't she shop or hang out with friends? Or does she just sit on the couch with her arms crossed and a mean look on her face and wait for you to come back inside? That's not healthy for either of you. It shouldn't be YOUR responsibility to keep her happy, that should happen naturally between the two of you. Obviously she isn't keeping you happy with all the bitching about the car...

Last edited:

TechSavy

Established Member
There are very few women out there that enjoy it when their BF/Husband/Significant other spends $$$$ on something that doesn't involve them.

bleedout

Established Member
Just one question,y WOULD you go from a 04 cobra to a 00 gt?

because i rarely drove the cobra and it was too nice to drag and beat on all the time, plus with the payments on it at the time it was just the best thing to do, i got a steal on the 00' gt, so a few parts and sum juice and it'll do.
So, I take it you know why you do what you do. Try practicing explaining it to us. It might help you explain it to her in a way she can understand.

If she's just your GF and she doesn't understand you then either she doesn't know you very well or she is controlling. Either way do not marry this woman 'casue you will never hear the end of it, ever. Or you will have to choose to severely limit or give up on this hobby to maintain your marriage and your sanity.

You're better off finding a woman that will respect you for who you are, but you better know who you are for that to happen.

well to clarify things a bit, we do live together and she is and has been by my side thru things, and I love her and i dont want anyone else, this thread was more of a rant to see if anyone has/is having similiar issues.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
She's a girlfriend? No offense, but as far as I'm concerned, they have absolutely no say in what you spend your money on until they're a fiance or wife.

As long as you keep a reasonable balance to the time you spend with her and the time you spend on your hobbies, she shouldn't really complain in my opinion.

This.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
eh, when my wife bitches about spending money on the car which isn't too often. I say fine I will stop and spend all my time with you. After an hour of me following her around like a puppy dog she gets the point and says go clean your car or something lol.

Planter

Banned
shes bitchin at me askin why am i spending all my money on the damn stang, why didnt I just keep the Cobra, why, why ,why..... I really dont think that many women get the reason us guys mod our sports cars, make them faster, handle better ect. and then you always get the, why are you spending all your time working on your car instead of spending time with me. i have to ration my time in the garage to keep the GF happy and content. which the main goal is to keep her happy , however when i get motivated to do something i have to finish it. right now i have all my nitrous parts ready and its killin me not to be installing it and im goin to the track on the 30th, not much time. so lets hear from all of you regarding this modding and GF/wife matter?:beer:

just explain to her that your little mod bug, keeps you happy, busy and it keeps your dick out of some other chicks vah jay jay, and that she should be thankful for your car and your modding habits.

she's just gotta look at it from a glass half-full perspective instead of being so negative! :beer:

M3xpress

Established Member

Big +1 to this.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
1. Get rid of her. Cruise these forums until you find a girl who owns a Mustang and is unhappy with her choice of a fiance, then steal her from him, have her get pregnant with twins 3 months after meeting, then marry her a while later.

2. Take her Mustang as your own, since you sold yours because it was a girly convertible, and mod it like she was going to but never got around to because her fiance was a loser who liked bow hunting but sucked horribly at it.

3. Post in a thread giving advice to some one who is unhappy with their gf so that the cycle may repeat.

4. ?????

5. Profit.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
My ex was like this. It actually came down to her telling me I had to pick between her and my GTO. (She wanted me to stop spending money on it, and instead buy her things.) She then started bitching we didnt go out enough (i paid for everything, she never offered and wouldn't) and blamed my car... We broke up rather quickly.

Now my new GF is opposite. I actually sold my GTO to get a gas saver so i could see her more and she was mad the GTO was gone. She told me i need to get another car im passionate about and that i want to work on and we will figure out the gas later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread