Actual window tint law of NJ?

ramairfreak98ss

Established Member
Does anyone know exactly what the statue of NJ says for tinted front windows? Your drivers/passenger windows?

My brother got two tickets in his own town for tinted front windows... he paid both and now the same cop pulled him over again on a day he had both windows down and was nice out, just to check and see if he had taken off the tint yet...

1. Can they require you to roll up the windows to check? Theres no probable cause to do so.
2. Usually, as in repairs for inspections before, you had 30 days to make repairs.. If your issued a ticket on 4/1/2013, and have court on 4/7/2013, and 4/15/2013 your re-ticketed again for the same violation... so does it fall under repairs, since they're ticketing you for something on your vehicle that is not in compliance?

Lately, i have all of my cars and trucks tinted and have never had any issues in the last couple years... NJ has backed WAAYY off tinted windows unless its limo tint... surprised he has gotten 3 tickets in only a few months from the same town cops. I don't even put my windows down anymore.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
The front Windows can't be tinted PERIOD!

The rear can be as dark as you want from what I knew of the law while tinting in NJ/NY.

They can make you roll the windows Up to verify there is no tint on the windlows:nonono:

Some counties are not as bad as others in NJ with tint on the windows.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
There is a form your Dr. can fill out that allows you to tint your front windows in N.J., if you have a medical condition that requires tinted windows......good luck.

gamebred26

Established Member
There is a form your Dr. can fill out that allows you to tint your front windows in N.J., if you have a medical condition that requires tinted windows......good luck.

this you can get it at any tint shop or the dmv...my eye doctor had no issues siging it for me lol..said the glare gives me migraines. done.

i have the card in my cobra. ****ed up thing is i rarely drive the car and the one time i got nailed for speeding he didnt even mention the tint.

i was all ready to whip it out not a word lol...never had to use it yet.

DepWraith

Established Member
State of New Jersey Tinting Laws & Medical Sun-Screening Guidelines

State of New Jersey Tinting Laws:

By law you can apply any non reflective window film to your rear windows. Rear windows are the windows behind the driver and the front passenger. Non reflecitve films, such as mirror film, are not allowed by NJ State Laws.

By law you can not apply any window film to the front driver or front passeger windows unless you obtain a Medical Sun-Screening license from the NJ State Motor Vehicle Commisiion. For Medican Sun-Screening guidelines see below.

State of New Jersey Medical Sun-Screening Guidelines:

With a Medical Sun-Screening license you can apply window film to your front windows based on these guidelines.

Windshield - You can apply a clear (UV) film which has a visible light transmission of 70% and a visible light reflection of 8%. What this means. This means that you can apply clear film to your windshied which will decrease the amount of light transmission by 30%. This film will provide a 99% UV light reduction.

Front Windows - You can apply a shade window film which has a 60% visible light transmission and 8% visible light reflection. What this means. This means that you can apply a window film that will block 40% of visible light transmission. A 60% window film is a very light colored film which will block 99% of UV rays and provide you with minimal darkening of the glass. Please note that a 60% window film is lighter than your typical "smoke" film.

Each piece of glass that is tinted for a medical purpose must have a small decal with the installers information applied. This will be done for each piece of glass.

*Please be aware that NJ DMV Inspection Stations use a window film meter to test the window film during your cars inspection. If these guidelines are not followed your car will fail the inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread