Acid Rain

Chewy

Established Member
Hom many of you have acid rain etching on the tops of your Mustangs? It's a common problem among the Rough Plate produced vehicles. HAs anyone ever look under the right light to check?

mustanginky

Established Member
i have them horrible on my car, as well as etching. only solution i can find is to have it wet sanded and re-cleared. i have tried polishing, and it minimizes it, but does not take it off completely.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
what was your process for polishing. If the right combos are used you can get very far with a machine

Chewy

Established Member
The only real way to remove light acid rain spots is to neutralize it and sand it out and then guage if there's enough clear to avoid future failure. The paint is relatively nice on Mustangs, but every one has acid rain. I wonder what's worse? Repaint or buff and live with it.

Last edited:

mustanginky

Established Member
what was your process for polishing. If the right combos are used you can get very far with a machine

i used ssr 2.5 and 1 with an orange pad first then a white pad. i know if i used something more aggressive like optimum compound it could have done better, but i worked with what i had.

03mgmcobra

Established Member
i have the same issue...all i got is ssr2.5and 1. works great for most situations but not for this damned water spot etch/acid rain crap we all seem to have. i've heard ssr3 will get it. i'm gonna buy some soon.

Scott P

Established Member
Water spot etchings are a pain int he ass to remove. SSR2.5 and and Orange pad can reduce them, but usually not fully remove them. A rotary polisher and a compound would do the trick unless they are really bad. Over time, the PC will eventually work, but the rotary would be quicker and more effective.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Try SSR 3 and Orange first. Dont want to induce more damage than there already is

03 SPECTRE

Established Member
Has anyone used or know anything about a product from MEGUIRE'S- Mirror Glaze Ultra Cut Compound? Also known as M105. It suppose to great for removing acid rain from your paint w/o damaging the clearcoat according to Meguire's.My black 03 Cobra is covered with acid rain;so far I've tried Mothers cleaner wax and also white vinager neither of which were effective.
Any suggestions on getting acid rain off my back glass?
Thanks.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
The best thing I've found to actually help get rid of acid rain spots is one of the following:

A) Traditional vinegar bath
B) FK1 USA's decontamination system. This flat out WORKS. Step 2 actually pulls contaminants out of the pores of the paint and dissolves them.

Follow with traditional polishing and thats about the best you'll be able to do without wetsanding or repainting.

Chewy

Established Member
Has anyone used or know anything about a product from MEGUIRE'S- Mirror Glaze Ultra Cut Compound? Also known as M105. It suppose to great for removing acid rain from your paint w/o damaging the clearcoat according to Meguire's.My black 03 Cobra is covered with acid rain;so far I've tried Mothers cleaner wax and also white vinager neither of which were effective.
Any suggestions on getting acid rain off my back glass?
Thanks.

I think you guys are confusing Acid Rain Etching/Chemical Spotting(in paint) with Hard Water Spots/Rusty Iron Particles(on paint). Either way, the worst thing to do is buff them off the finish. Both require a paint decontamination system 1st to remove the contamination and then to stop futher damage. Then, depending on how severe the damage is, wet sanding is done.

SPECTRE - what you're experiencing on your glass is most likely hard water spots because it's very unlikely that acid rain would have damaged it. I've repaired vehicles that were involved with smoke stack explosions where the entire vehicle was covered in spotting, but it's not considered acid rain.

Here's a great place for information:
http://www.valugard.net/cms/

03 SPECTRE

Established Member
Black 03 paint spots

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info. I'll give it a try.
Where do you suggest purchasing the paint decontamination?:beer:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
i have the etching in my paint that looks like old water spots, we tried all kinds of pads and oculdnt get it out, the only way I think it will ever come out is with wet-sanding, its a PITA

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
The best thing I've found to actually help get rid of acid rain spots is one of the following:

A) Traditional vinegar bath
B) FK1 USA's decontamination system. This flat out WORKS. Step 2 actually pulls contaminants out of the pores of the paint and dissolves them.

I had no idea that FK1 stuff really worked... :read:

Users who are viewing this thread