Accusump questions

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
After talking with several different folks, I've gotten several different opinions. This is a poll, of sorts, but I don't recall a thread here going over the details of an install of one either. I'm hoping to install one here in the next couple of weeks, I'm waiting to get my car back from the shop, and they're waiting on my KB IRS cradle to arrive.

Several people mentioned the manual valve with installation in the cabin for reliability reasons, which I don't mind doing. I'm simply not so sure that I would "operate" it properly.

Several have mentioned the EPC valve for simplicity, somewhat "install and forget" operation. The benefit of keeping it out of the interior is a plus also. I'm leaning this direction simply because the EPC will cover me when (not if) I forget.

Thoughts, opinions, how'd most of you do yours?

Thanks
S

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
Kevin,

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the switch. Is is simply for draining the system during a fluid change? That much I understand, or is it something different?

No issues with pressure drops once the oil is pressurized (under a hard corner) and recharging the accumulator? So far, that's the only downside I've read about with the EPC.

Cobra-R

Established Member
ragansrcobra99 said:
Kevin,

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the switch. Is is simply for draining the system during a fluid change? That much I understand, or is it something different?

No issues with pressure drops once the oil is pressurized (under a hard corner) and recharging the accumulator? So far, that's the only downside I've read about with the EPC.

I have both, in a street car where you don't want the accusump and/or oil lines inside the car, go the electric solenoid method. I wouldn't worry about it being reliable, we use solenoids like that in farm equiptment and they are very trouble free if istalled correctly.

I just wired my electric setup to Key power, turn the key to the on positions and it opens the valve. Nothing to forget or worry about.

Brian

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
ragansrcobra99 said:

What is the issue that is what it is for? The EPC pressurizes the system below the defined pressure level and refills when it goes over the defined pressure level. If people are having problems with it refilling it sounds like they have the wrong range or are not making enough pressure normally.

I am wiring mine so it turns on with the ignition so I don't have to worry about it and it precharges the system. My issue currently is still trying to find a place to fit it. I belive Kevin has it behind the bumper support which looks like a great location if you don't have the A/C core.

Black Horse

Established Member
I installed the manual valve but would have preferred using an EPC. At the very least an electrical solenoid valve. With the manual valve it is just something more to forget to do.

The one-way check valve is a good idea as well.

kevin

the switch is simply to allow for fluid change.

the other advantage to the epc - when you get ready to start the car - i turn the switch to on (not start), let the accusump pressurize the system with the 3 qts and then start. i've never seen the pressure not come back up after a hard turn.

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
The reason for the question was during the small bit of searching the subject, it was mentioned that the EPC can restrict (somewhat) the accusump's ability to recharge as quickly as it would with a manual valve. At least that's the way I interpreted it. You guys have answered that part for me.

Now, as far as installation is concerned: I know it calls for -10AN line, but my cooler line is -8AN. Should I increase the line to the remote filter and to the cooler and back to the block to at least -10, or will it be fine at -8? For reference, I'll be using a remote Canton Mecca setup like Kevin's Cobra (not R), if any of you have seen that. I've relocated the battery to the trunk, if I can remove the battery tray, I'm going to try to install the sump and filters in that location.

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
ragansrcobra99 said:
Now, as far as installation is concerned: I know it calls for -10AN line, but my cooler line is -8AN. Should I increase the line to the remote filter and to the cooler and back to the block to at least -10, or will it be fine at -8? For reference, I'll be using a remote Canton Mecca setup like Kevin's Cobra (not R), if any of you have seen that. I've relocated the battery to the trunk, if I can remove the battery tray, I'm going to try to install the sump and filters in that location.

Steve,
If you are mounting the accusump in or near the engine compartment, 1/2" (8AN) hose will be fine. Mount it in the trunk or something like that, 5/8 or 3/4 might be better.

Brian

johnbasf

Established Member
ragansrcobra99 said:
The reason for the question was during the small bit of searching the subject, it was mentioned that the EPC can restrict (somewhat) the accusump's ability to recharge as quickly as it would with a manual valve. At least that's the way I interpreted it. You guys have answered that part for me.

The manual valve opening is bigger. Bigger opening, faster response.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
Reviving an old thread and looking for advice... I'm still trying to determine where to put the Accusump in my 96 Cobra road racer. I have the Maximum Motorsports oil filter relocation kit. I'm planning to T off the oil line going from the filter back to the adapter block and then run the line from the driver's side around the front of the engine down low to the passenger side firewall and into the footwell. Probably mounting the sump on the roll cage or bulkhead just behind the passenger seat area. I'm using the electric (EPC) switch/valve. I guess I could put in in the front fender area. I'm wanting the sump in the back to improve the weight distribution. I'm guessing the filled sump with hardware is about 10-15 lbs.
Surely others have installed accumulators since this thread began. Looking for suggestions.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread