Accufab SB TB getting stuck. HELP!!!

stevolikedevo

Established Member
I've had my Accufab TB + plenum installed on my car for about a year and a half now with a BBK intake and stock eaton. I didn't have any problems with it for over a year.

Last spring I went drag racing, I started to notice that after making my pass, my throttle pedal seemed to get stuck at idle when I tried to give the car gas to cruise back to the staging lanes. I would have to stomp on the pedal fairly hard to get it to break loose, then it would be fine until after the next pass. I haven't been racing since, but I've been noticing more and more frequently that if I make a WOT sprint, i.e. from ~50mph to ~100mph in 3rd and then brake down to around 50mph and cruise in 6th, the pedal is getting stuck until I stomp on it to break it free. I took the intake off my car yesterday and noted that it looks like there's a couple of places where it looks like the TB tube and the TB blade have been scraping against each other along the bottom edge of the opening and blade. I'm assuming this is from the times when it felt like the gas pedal was stuck.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

yello3cobra

Established Member
i got that package from rpm outlet,long story short,they told me u can loosen some of the bolts to realign the blade,but i would call accufab and ask to be sure.

kwlscott

Established Member
i have the same pos throttle body with the same problems and got the same exact bs from rpm outlet. they even told me to remove it and operate the arm because that would "align" it. no dice and they absolutely refused to take it back. i know vendor bashing is strictly prohibited but after the last $2500.00 i spent with those guys i'm a dedicated lethal performance customer. not that they made the accufab t/b but over a lot of other stuff too. i'm trying to get accufab to replace it or atleast warranty it. i'll let you know what happens.

MVD

Established Member
Have either of you guys who are complaining about the throttle body's even tried to adjust the set screw??

Accufab's are perfectly good working TB's, but just like anything else, if you want them to be perfect you can not take it out of the box and put it on the car.

Any brand throttle body will stick if not adjusted properly.

kwlscott

Established Member
yes i have tried to adjust it. or do you think i just decided to drive around for 4 months with the idle hanging and not do anything about it? for starters the set screw has nothing to do with our problem. you can back it off to the point where it doesn't touch the arm and it will still hang up and stick. the probelm is in either a. poor manufacturing of the blade in relation to the tube or b. poor assembly in regards to a misalignment of the blade as it sits on the bar. personally i think it's a. because i have tried to adjust the blade itself as it sits on the bar. for the record i have had a couple accufab t'b's before with great results as well as a couple bbk's but i have never had to adjust one ever as they were great right out of the box.

stevolikedevo, i contacted accufab today directly and they have agreed to atleast look at mine. i'm footing the bill for shipping but they did say that if it's deemed a problem on their end that they'd warranty it free. if on the other hand it was neglegence or improper intallation they will still repair it by replacing all moving parts at a cost of $75.00 i would recomend you email or call them as i fond them to be very helpfull. the # is 1 909 930 1751. the address is accufab, inc. 1326 e francis st. ontario, ca 91761
good luck and i hope this helps you with your problem.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Don't waste your time and money sending it in. Accufab will tell you it is fine and adjust the idle stop back to stock, or give you the BS line that vacuum is holding the TB closed. The problem is that the blade comes in contact with the alumnium body when when it gets hot, and that is why it sticks. BF throttlebodies do it to if they are not roperly adjusted.

Mine stuck after WOT blasts when I installed it. I fixed it and it has been flawless ever since.

Here is how to fix it.

1) install TB and plenum
2) rotate the TPS CW(opposite throttle movement) then snug the screws
3) plug IAC in (DO NOT SCREW IT ON, LEAVE IT OFF)
4) duct tape over the IAC holes on the plenum
5) have someone start the car(DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS PEDAL) if it won't start, turn the butterfly stop screw in a bit, try to start again(repeat till running)
6) adjust the stop screw till you get the idle to 700-750RPM
7) let the car idle for 5-10 min's
8) turn car off
9) remove duct tape, install IAC
10) turn key to "on position" (do not start car)
11) set TPS to about .98V, tighten the TPS
12) start car(DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS !!!!!!!!)
13) just let the car idle, let the computer "LEARN" for 10min's
14) turn car off
15) done

Last edited:

stevolikedevo

Established Member
stevolikedevo, i contacted accufab today directly and they have agreed to atleast look at mine. i'm footing the bill for shipping but they did say that if it's deemed a problem on their end that they'd warranty it free. if on the other hand it was neglegence or improper intallation they will still repair it by replacing all moving parts at a cost of $75.00 i would recomend you email or call them as i fond them to be very helpfull. the # is 1 909 930 1751. the address is accufab, inc. 1326 e francis st. ontario, ca 91761
good luck and i hope this helps you with your problem.

Cool, yeah, definitely let me know how it goes!

In the mean time, I think I'll LargeOrangeFont's fixing procedure and see if that seems to help. Hopefully there's enough good weather left to get a good sprint in the backroads to try it out.

MVD

Established Member
for starters the set screw has nothing to do with our problem. you can back it off to the point where it doesn't touch the arm and it will still hang up and stick.

First off, the set screw has everything to do with the sticky throttle.

Secondly, your problem stems from the fact you are adjusting it incorrectly. You are not supposd to back it off so it is not touching the arm......that is why the blade is sticking. You are supposed to have the set screw make contact with the arm even sooner so the blade can not slam shut all the way under vacuum.

So learn how to properly adjust it and you will have to reason to bitch about the poor quality of a product when countless others use it with zero issues.

kwlscott

Established Member
mvd-you didn't read what i said or i didn't expalin it clearly enough. yes, i tried adjusting the set screw. what i meant was, no matter how far up or back it's adjusted the problem still remains. the set screw has absolutely nothing to do with the blade not fitting in the tube properly. if you hold it up to a light you can see the light in several places around the tube/blade unevenly but not in a way that suggests you could move the blade to one side or the other and cure the problem. this is with the set screw in several different positions. ofcourse if i were selling accufab t/b's i wouldn't necessarily wanna admit a problem with the product either but the fact that so many people have trouble with them sais something.

i am going to try largeorangefont's method of adjustment to see if this fixes my problem. hopefully it does, if not i'm stuck shipping to back to them for repair. either way i have the t/b and i wanna see it working correctly on my car.

and for the record mvd, if set-up adjustment is so important-and i honestly believe that it is-why didn't accufab send some sort of directions to shed some light on the procedure. the fact is that they don't even want the customer touching the set screw. how can it be a 'user error' if you follow what directions that they do give you? i appreciate largeorangefont posting a cure for the problem but all you've said so far is that it must be a user error and it's all in the set screw-which i've had in about every different position up and back that i can put it in.

Users who are viewing this thread