accetable reasons for speeding and other violations?

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
not encouranging lying to police but what are some things that acceptable for speeding and other violations?ive been stopped at work a few times and after explaining why i was in a rush the cop let me go.(it was obvious why due to the truck i was driving).

i know emergency situations are probably ok.people have also said they were let go because of having to take a ****.:D what what you let off with a warning if its it a legitimate reason?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I can only speak for myself, but in all the years I worked traffic, I can't ever remember hearing an excuse I fell for. Attitude and traffic conditions are better measurement tools of whether or not you'll get a break. If you violated the traffic statutes to the point I'm willing to risk an enforcement stop and the proceeding detention, then most likely you'll get the ticket. Why take the risk just to give out a verbal warning you can joke about here a few days later? Every contact carries with it some risk, so why take it?:beer:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
No excuses!!! Mark put it right. Your attitude and cooperation during the stop is more important than any excuse you can think up.

DEADEYE

Banned
One time a guy said he was on his way to the hospital. This was the 3rd time in the same night I heard that. I let him go and followed him at a distance to his residence. He never went to the hospital. Ever since then I'd offer to call an ambulance, if they refuse, I write.

mambaman

Established Member
i know that state highway patrolmen have let my father off because he's said he was going to the hospital, but then again he IS a doctor and they would actually call the hospital and confirm that he was indeed going there, so i know around here if yu are trying an excuse it better be a damn good one or you're getting a ticket

RRTX

Established Member
I hate the people that put on their 4-way flashers and think that gives them the right to drive like idiots :bash: . I'd like to hear some of the excuses they give for that, unfortunately there never seems to be a cop around when they do it

SVT4ME

Established Member
So what your sawing is suck up to the cop and get a break. Am just saying that I've been pulled over before and the cop comes over with the attitude first and I say f*ck it give me the ticket you @$$. In no way am I saying that all cops are bad and I know that cops have a very difficult job. The ones I've come across are just D!cks and just want to search my car and am on my way. No ticket and pulled over for nothing. It's all about how he or she feels about the stop.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by SVT4ME
So what your sawing is suck up to the cop and get a break. Am just saying that I've been pulled over before and the cop comes over with the attitude first and I say f*ck it give me the ticket you @$$. In no way am I saying that all cops are bad and I know that cops have a very difficult job. The ones I've come across are just D!cks and just want to search my car and am on my way. No ticket and pulled over for nothing. It's all about how he or she feels about the stop.

Suck up to the cop? Who said that? What I said is that the moment I approach, I begin measuring the temperament of the driver. I already have a valid reason for the detention, so I don't have to do anything but put pen to paper. However, if the driver has even a prayer of getting by with a warning, it's going to be determined within the first few seconds.

Based on the level of name-calling in your post I can only imagine why you end up with tickets to commemorate your contacts with the police.

:beer:

nj7703

Established Member
I think it was on "Wildest Police Videos" but there was an incar cam that caught a SERIOUSLY DISTURBED/ANGRY man being pulled over, totally SCREAMING at the officer. I think it may have been in MA, but i mean this guy was totally freaking out, so bad, the officer was actually trying not to laugh. The guy was having such a temper tantrum, it was actually funny. I felt bad for him, but at least he had it on tape. If i can find a web link to it i will post it.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Are all cops good? No! My point is what happens if it's the cop that in a bad mood and gives you the attitude first or they just pull you over just to search your car. Had out of state plates and got pulled over because he said he didnt understand the codes on my plates when he ran them. Is that a reason to pull me over. Am not a lawyer but I think that it's not. Then the @$$ ask me if ok to go through my car. Got nothing to hide and I say yes. Finds nothing and lets me go. I hate that crap.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT4ME
Are all cops good? No! My point is what happens if it's the cop that in a bad mood and gives you the attitude first or they just pull you over just to search your car. Had out of state plates and got pulled over because he said he didnt understand the codes on my plates when he ran them. Is that a reason to pull me over. Am not a lawyer but I think that it's not. Then the @$$ ask me if ok to go through my car. Got nothing to hide and I say yes. Finds nothing and lets me go. I hate that crap.

I know this is going to be a hard concept for you, but police officers are professionals and 99% of the time will not let thier bad mood affect thier work. That would be like saying a surgeon in a bad mood will leave a bigger scar than necessary because of his mood. Not likely.

Police need PC (probable cause) to pull you over in the first place so they just dont waste thier time and pull over a car to search for no apparent reason.

You have special "codes" on your plate that the computer wont decipher? There are many things that could get you pulled over in relation to your plates, registration, etc. Remember your vehicle must meet the code of the state you are traveling in, not just the state it is registered in.

You would prefer getting a ticket for whatever reason he pulled you over rather than a few minute inconveniece and being sent on your way?

Ozarkhills SVT

Established Member
This happened quite a few years ago, and it might be an acceptable reason to speed.

Several years ago a farmer in our area caught his overall pant leg on a nail that protruded out of a shaft on an auger that he was using. After the nail caught the material, it proceeded to rip and tear until.....well lets just say, at least one of the jewells was missing and the other was hanging extra low!

One of my friends, loads him into his car (which was new at the time) 421 ci Pontiac (also tells you how long it has been) and started to the hospital with the injured person. About 25 miles from the hospital a State Highway Patrol gives chase. The Pontiac arrived at the hospital about 1 minute before the officer
(would have been sooner, but traffic slowed the car with the injured party in it). Just as the officer was pulling up, the injured man got out, carrying one and holding the other! The young officer took one look, turned, (well lets say he didn't look so good), and left without even so much as a good luck nod.

I thought this might be an acceptable reason to speed.

Before anyone asks why didn't he just call an ambulance? In our area it sometimes takes an hour for them to find you, then another hour to make it to the hospital.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by Ozarkhills SVT
This happened quite a few years ago, and it might be an acceptable reason to speed.

Several years ago a farmer in our area caught his overall pant leg on a nail that protruded out of a shaft on an auger that he was using. After the nail caught the material, it proceeded to rip and tear until.....well lets just say, at least one of the jewells was missing and the other was hanging extra low!

One of my friends, loads him into his car (which was new at the time) 421 ci Pontiac (also tells you how long it has been) and started to the hospital with the injured person. About 25 miles from the hospital a State Highway Patrol gives chase. The Pontiac arrived at the hospital about 1 minute before the officer
(would have been sooner, but traffic slowed the car with the injured party in it). Just as the officer was pulling up, the injured man got out, carrying one and holding the other! The young officer took one look, turned, (well lets say he didn't look so good), and left without even so much as a good luck nod.

I thought this might be an acceptable reason to speed.

Before anyone asks why didn't he just call an ambulance? In our area it sometimes takes an hour for them to find you, then another hour to make it to the hospital.

Your story is a doozy, but unfortunately medical emergencies are the worst excuses for speeding. An ambulance operated by a professional with lights/siren, or a frantic family member hyped up on anxiety and fear? Which will most likely make it to the hospital in one piece?

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
if its where a persons life depends on it and you think you can get them to a hospital quicker than an ambulance isnt that acceptable?

Ozarkhills SVT

Established Member
Probably true, but like I said in our area it might be an hour before you even see an ambulance. About 10 years ago I called for one to pick up my father, over 2 hours to come 35 miles. (Said they couldn't find the house!)

Also it wasn't a family member, it was a neighbor, and I know most of the emt's in our area. You would be better off riding with a 15 yo with a learners permit. I personally would never move an injured accident victim, and get sued for everything you own.

How much driver training do emt's have? Most of them in our area aren't any more qualified than your neighbor to drive. The only training they have is 2 semesters medical and a class e license. (The same one required to deliver Domino's Pizza) If I had an injury, I would rather be at the hospital getting treatment than waiting 2 hours for an emt that may have stopped for lunch and turned his/her radio off.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by Ozarkhills SVT
Probably true, but like I said in our area it might be an hour before you even see an ambulance. About 10 years ago I called for one to pick up my father, over 2 hours to come 35 miles. (Said they couldn't find the house!)

Also it wasn't a family member, it was a neighbor, and I know most of the emt's in our area. You would be better off riding with a 15 yo with a learners permit. I personally would never move an injured accident victim, and get sued for everything you own.

How much driver training do emt's have? Most of them in our area aren't any more qualified than your neighbor to drive. The only training they have is 2 semesters medical and a class e license. (The same one required to deliver Domino's Pizza) If I had an injury, I would rather be at the hospital getting treatment than waiting 2 hours for an emt that may have stopped for lunch and turned his/her radio off.

Not trying to fire you up, just using the logic borne of many years of listening to (and weighing the merit of) excuses for speeding/evading. In your particular situation you may have to improvise due to distance, however in this day and age of medivac choppers and the like, there are fewer reasons to allow anyone to endanger other drivers. :beer:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
if its where a persons life depends on it and you think you can get them to a hospital quicker than an ambulance isnt that acceptable?

I guess it's something you have to weigh on a case-by-case basis, however it's not just transporting. It's isolating injuries and rendering immediate care to ward off shock. Not too many situations where the ends justify the means...........

I guess the best way to explain this is to say; I had a motor officer (and a friend) who was hit and badly injured. Being the first on scene I could have enlisted the help of bystanders and loaded the officer into my unit and raced to the hospital. However, all things considered he was better off on the ground a few extra moments until the EMT's arrived and gave him the treatment and speedy transport he needed and deserved.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Originally posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS

You may be able to get them to the hospital faster, but the ambulance and crew are equipped to actually start emergency care at the beginning of the trip.

So if you can do the ride in 15 minutes and the ambulance in 20 minutes, but the ambulance starts care immediately, you are better off waiting for the ambulance.

TwoValveKid

Uh oh.....
Established Member
Originally posted by nj7703
I think it was on "Wildest Police Videos" but there was an incar cam that caught a SERIOUSLY DISTURBED/ANGRY man being pulled over, totally SCREAMING at the officer. I think it may have been in MA, but i mean this guy was totally freaking out, so bad, the officer was actually trying not to laugh. The guy was having such a temper tantrum, it was actually funny. I felt bad for him, but at least he had it on tape. If i can find a web link to it i will post it.

yeah i saw that too...the guy got pulled over in an open country road i think for doing 56 in a 55...i know there are times when you LEOs can pull people over...but would any of you really pull over someone doing 1mph over? just curious...i mean i would be a little pissed too...but i would not let the officer see that...ide just swallow my pride and pay the 1 mph ticket...i think it would be funny "yeah i got pulled over for doin 56 in a 55"...

Users who are viewing this thread