Acceptable coolant temp and IAT2 temp?

NJredfire03

Established Member
As mentioned in my previous post, VMP stage 2 went on last night. And I noticed fans came on easier than normal. This morning was 60 degrees and I was cruising on the highway out of boost. By the time I got to work fans were on when I feel like they shouldn't. Could be way wrong. But 60 degrees is chilly. After my hour drive home from work in slightly congested traffic, I sat with the car idling for a few minutes. Fans never turned off. So I plugged in the handheld and saw my coolant was 194 and my IAT2 was 111. That's a little hot isn't it? I checked my IC pump at lunch, its operating perfectly.

Anything to ease my mind would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBB

Established Member
As mentioned in my previous post, VMP stage 2 went on last night. And I noticed fans came on easier than normal. This morning was 60 degrees and I was cruising on the highway out of boost. By the time I got to work fans were on when I feel like they shouldn't. Could be way wrong. But 60 degrees is chilly. After my hour drive home from work in slightly congested traffic, I sat with the car idling for a few minutes. Fans never turned off. So I plugged in the handheld and saw my coolant was 194 and my IAT2 was 111. That's a little hot isn't it? I checked my IC pump at lunch, its operating perfectly.

Anything to ease my mind would be great.

Nothing to worry about, that all looks pretty normal to me. Keep in mind that the air coming in to the motor isn't actually being cooled by your heat exchanger unless you're in boost. That's when you really want to monitor your IAT2. Go out for a few pulls and take some datalogs to see how well your cooling system is really performing.

Last edited:

NJredfire03

Established Member
Nothing to worry about, that all looks pretty normal to me. Keep in mind that the air coming in to the motor isn't actually passing through your heat exchanger unless you're in boost. That's when you really want to monitor your IAT2. Go out for a few pulls and take some datalogs to see how well your cooling system is really performing.

Ah, didn't know about the gotta be in boost. I have a 3 month old at home. So I'll get to do it sometime this week. I guess I should email VMP and ask what I should log. First time with a remote tune. So I'm a little clueless. Going to download livelink on my laptop and go from there.

merkyworks

Established Member
Just a reference for you, Texas heat 100+F.

Stock cooling, stop and go city driving (0-40mph) coolant temp 208-217F and IAT2's are in the 140-160F. Freeway driving (60-80mph) coolant temp 194-196F and IAT2's are in the 115-130F.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Just a reference for you, Texas heat 100+F.

Stock cooling, stop and go city driving (0-40mph) coolant temp 208-217F and IAT2's are in the 140-160F. Freeway driving (60-80mph) coolant temp 194-196F and IAT2's are in the 115-130F.

Damn Texas heat. That's nuts.

TOPLESS_SVT

Established Member
208- 217F Thats normal for everyone?,

I ask because were having a heat wave up here in van city and I was in stop and go with the top down with the A/C on.
got home pulled the temp with my scanner and it was 210F coolant and 162F IAC
figured that seemed high.

I have the 170f thermostat with fans set 188 low and 192 high this might be where i need to make an adjustment

thoughts?

MysticRob

Established Member
I've always heard that for newer cars, due to a host of necessary evils like emissions, engine longevity concerns (oil viscosity, coolant breakdown, etc) manufacturers try to keep coolant temps for most cars between 190-220*. No idea about older vehicles, but figure there hasn't been much difference throughout the last few decades. I remember my Dad saying my 67 Camaro ran hot at ~230*, and sure enough my radiator was pretty clogged with anti-leak crap. New radiator brought it back down.

Figure this isn't wrong then:
https://www.cars.com/articles/should-i-worry-about-how-hot-my-engine-is-running-1420680334271/

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
With my KB setup and AZ heat (100+) degrees, the hottest my IAT2 temps get 135. They usually chill around 120s in the day and 110 at night and my coolant temp is around 194 to 198.

NJredfire03

Established Member
With my KB setup and AZ heat (100+) degrees, the hottest my IAT2 temps get 135. They usually chill around 120s in the day and 110 at night and my coolant temp is around 194 to 198.

I can only assume you have cooling upgrades

Last edited:

NJredfire03

Established Member
Well, I went out last night to datalog. And my temps were 199/130. About 80 degrees outside. That was during a long idle time, cruise to highway, and a 3rd gear pull. Then a relaxing cruise back home. I didn't datalog correctly and I'm going to have to do it again. First time doing it, so cut me some slack.

Users who are viewing this thread