AC noise when on(sounds bad)

jesus_ralliart

Established Member
So here is the story:

Was sitting at a light with the a/c off and the car in neutral. Out of nowhere I hear a pop and there is an odd noise coming from under the hood. I drive the car home and it sounds like it's coming from the a/c area. I turn the car off.

When I turn it back on the noise is gone but comes back when I turn the AC on. It goes away a few seconds after I turn the Ac off but have the car on. I also looked and noticed that the tension of the belt is not on the center Mark.

Everything works on the car, no CEL and I don't see anything broken. A/C still blows cold air but makes a horrible noise when on.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on having the A/c replaced especially since it still blows cold air !

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
From the sounds of it if it's intermittent I'm gonna say AC clutch on the compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
clutch is what i was thinking as well. I believe the clutch assembly can be replaced without having to do the whole compressor but if you let it run with a bad clutch it can get hot and ruin the seals...then you're really in trouble

jesus_ralliart

Established Member
Found a YouTube video of it being replaced on a mustang Gt. It looks like an easy enough fix and autozone has the part for $100

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread