AC Glitch Help!?

myrsvt

Established Member
Although I don't use it much my AC has always worked great (I mean really COLD, one of the best ACs I've had in any car)

However, the other day driving home from work in 80 plus degrees and pouring down rain I turn it on and it works great as always then hot air.
It continued to cycle back to cold then hot a few times.
BTW the dash fan blows fine.

When I got home I checked and the compressor is cutting off and not cutting back on for several minuets or at all.

Everything works great when compressor works but it is not cycling as it should.

Sounds like a simple fix but I don't know ACs

Anyone help??

SNAKEYE

Established Member
When you got home did you check it immediately or let it sit for a few hours?
If you checked it immediately it may have had a frozen evaporator due to the high humidity. Check it again after it has sat around warming up and allowing the frozen condensation to melt. You should have/had a big puddle of water beneath the car under the firewall area. Check to assure that the condensation drain is not clogged with any debris or mold that would slow the draining process.

Last edited:

myrsvt

Established Member
I don't think it had froze up in fact now I can't get the compressor to come on at all.

I still think freon and everything is good because it has always worked so well, just the compressor would cycle shorter and shorter and now will not come on at all.:shrug:

Any ideas? Switches to check etc. ???

SNAKEYE

Established Member
The seal on the compressor has probably started to leak due to disuse and old age.
You can try a shot of R134 refrigerant, preferably with a sealant in it.

CJK440

Established Member
The seal on the compressor has probably started to leak due to disuse and old age.
You can try a shot of R134 refrigerant, preferably with a sealant in it.

I agree, sounds like you are loosing refridgerant.

myrsvt

Established Member
Got it!!
Jumped out the low pressure switch on the drier and compressor came on and everything worked fine

Low side pressure checked ok at about 35psi @82degrees ambiant.

Switched out low pressure switch for new one and VOILA! works great.
BTW you can change the low pressure switch without losing refridgerant because there is a schrader valve behind it.

Ukuleleman

I have a '95 cobra and just tried jumping my switch and now compressor comes on! Where did you get your switch and would you know part number. Thanks for the help.

myrsvt

Established Member
Not sure of dealer part number but NAPA part number is :
TEM 207417
A/C Comp Clutch Cycling Pressure Switch. I paid $17

If everything works fine with switch jumped out (comp on and cold air blowing)its a good chance that will fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread