AC Doesn't Work When On a Hill

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
So, was pretty hot the last time I drove my cobra. When I was headed home I was going up a bit of a hill and the air stopped blowing cold. It was warm pretty much until I leveled out, then was cold again. Then again when I pulled into my driveway (which has a bit of an incline) it went from cold air to warm air.

Any ideas what this could be?

Zemedici

Established Member
weird - low on freon maybe? But it seems odd since the system is pressurized.

I'd charge up the system and check again

cj428mach

Established Member
I'm assuming a vacuum leak. Don't these cars use vacuum to control the HVAC controls?

If so its very common for vacuum control HVAC controls to have issues on a hill or under heavy load if you have leaks. My dads battling it on his 71 lincoln right now.

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
I read something about possibly being a vacuum leak. It's gotta go to the dealer in a couple weeks, I may just have them look into it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmoose

Established Member
How much throttle were you giving it? The AC shuts off automatically at a certain throttle point.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
The ac compressor will shut off when the engine is under a good load. So if it took a decent throttle the car cuts ac for extra power.

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
Normal throttle, don't need to floor it to get in my driveway ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badjuicedgt

Established Member
a vacuum leak wouldn't make it blow warm it would make it not blow at all through the vents it would revert to wherever the closed position is at which is normally on the floor, so if it was still blowing out the vents and just started blowing warm its not a vacuum leak if it quit blowing out the vents all together it could be. In all the time I have worked on cars no one has ever come in with this complaint and they sure didn't go over it in a/c class, only thing I would guess is like others have said it may be low on Freon but that doesn't even really make sense. I would say try and wiggle the wires going into the compressor while its running and maybe it has a bad connection and the compressor stops pumping for a short time and that's why it starts blowing warm since its not circulating any more, but since the compressor isn't up on top like other cars that's probably not going to happen. Let us know what you figure out when you get it fixed I'm curious now.

Users who are viewing this thread