AC compressor failed @ 26K miles. Is this normal!?!

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member
So regarding my thread this weekend about one side of my car blowing cold air and the other hot air, turns out, the car was almost empty of refrigerant.

They recharged it with UV dye and discovered a major leak from the compressor and I'm being quoted $1100 to replace it. The car is literally less than 1 month out of the 3 year warranty period so he said they're cutting me some slack on the cost but damn... 26k miles.

With that said, this car has never truly dished out COLD ac here in Alabama. simply adequate. My 15 year old volvo will turn the car into a meat locker but since day 1 of rolling off the production line, the mustang was simply cool, not frigid. Pretty much would ALWAYS have to run the AC with the max ac engaged. If I turned that off but still had the AC button on, the air temp would rise dramatically for some reason and even with the knob turned all the way cold, I would within a minute or so have to turn max ac back on to cool back down.

The V6 2014 mustang loaner I'm in currently doesn't have this problem and the 2013 fusion my wife and I rented recently did not have that problem and the 2012 focus I rented last year did not have this problem. The air temp stayed COLD even when the max AC was not engaged.

I'm wondering if there was something wrong with it from the get go?? or if the ac in the 5.0 is just shitty compared to the rest of their cars??

dead man walkin

Established Member
I've never had issues with mine here in texas it's almost 4 years old now and it's so cold on a 95 degree day you have to add some warm to it

Steveespo

Established Member
You can buy the compressor from Tousely or Levittown Ford for $298, the belt is $13 and a recharge is $65 at my local shop. There is a fair amount of labor to remove and replace, you have to remove the lower oil change tray and brace, cut the belt, disconnect the two hose connections (13mm), disconnect the electric connector, unbolt (10mm) the radiator overflow bottle and move towards the drivers side, remove the three compressor to block mounting bolts (13mm), have a helper hold the overflow tank and pull the upper rad hose tyo the side to allow the compressor to be pulled up from the top. To install reverse the procedure.
You can do this job for $400, or try an A/C shop they will be cheaper than a Ford dealer anyway, just order the parts yourself if they can't get you the OEM parts for that price.
I just removed my whole A/C setup from my car last weekend as I don't need it in the race car. Sadly my compressor clutch is bad or I would offer it to you.
Good luck
Steve

slidai

Established Member
Blowing cold on passengers side and hot on drivers is a clear indication of lack of refrigerant. Max ac only closes the outside vent and puta you on recirculation. My ac blows at about 40 degrees. But of course if it's hotter outside, that will change. It certainly shouldn't have gone out that quick. Ford should have good willed that without question. Makes me glad I got a bumper to bumper factory warranty for 125k miles. I won't be paying for that silliness. If I was you, I'd raise hell with the general manager and then work your way up the chain till its paid for.

We had a 2007 insight come into the shop the other day. Only has 45,000ish miles. Number two piston head had a hole in it. Honda is replacing the short block for free even though it's LONG out of warranty and that replacement was not even questioned by the district manager. That's how it should be. You're 1 month out via time, not even milage? Oh Hell's to the no!

Last edited:

ringo01

Established Member
My a/c also died 1 month out of the 3 year warranty. Extremely upsetting. I contacted Ford and they cut me some slack and paid for part of it. I am thankful they helped out but it was still overall a bad experience.

slick3

Established Member
My a/c also died 1 month out of the 3 year warranty. Extremely upsetting. I contacted Ford and they cut me some slack and paid for part of it. I am thankful they helped out but it was still overall a bad experience.

Not to resurrect a dying thread here.... but my AC was the same way when I took delivery of the car, as I just posted yesterday in a thread yesterday dont run the Freon at the suggested level. Fill it up .2-.3 lbs LESS than what the sticker says. If its real hot where you are, I would be willing to put money on it that this would fix your issue...

Does it blow ice cubes when its colder outside? If so. Yup, its overcharged. Make sure to discharge it really well and make sure whoever is doing it has a decent set of gauges.

FastRedPonyCar