AC Comp?????? How to Remove???

jliddle

Established Member
I do not know EVERY step as I have not worked on one first hand.

But most of the time the steps are to evacuate the AC. Remove lines from compressor. Take off belt and compressor.

Again I do not know the exact steps, I do not own a Cobra. But if you dont have a AC servicing machine you cant properly evacuate/charge the AC.

gt40racing

Established Member
Thanks for your help! I was just able to download the whole service manual. Read that section and went out to the garage. 20 minutes later I am done...now to get a replacement and new belt....

cotchnobra

Established Member
Not sure if you know but before you refill with refrigerant again you need to vacum the A/C system to get all the air out or it just wont work right and will cause the compressor to fail.

Last edited:

jliddle

Established Member
Idk how you unhooked the AC lines at the compressor without refrigerant spewing everywhere?

If you already have it off I would just bolt the new comp. on and take it to a AC shop. The system HAS to be vacummed/charged correctly.

rezcobra

Established Member
Idk how you unhooked the AC lines at the compressor without refrigerant spewing everywhere?

If you already have it off I would just bolt the new comp. on and take it to a AC shop. The system HAS to be vacummed/charged correctly.

Is there any negatives in running without refrigerant for about an hour to an hour and a hlaf to a shop? Thats how far away I live from an AC shop and wanting to install the unit myself. The system is dry now. Bad seals on the compressor.. Also bearings going out.

RichM1983

Established Member
Is there any negatives in running without refrigerant for about an hour to an hour and a hlaf to a shop? Thats how far away I live from an AC shop and wanting to install the unit myself. The system is dry now. Bad seals on the compressor.. Also bearings going out.

As long as you don't kick on the AC it shouldn't be a problem driving it to the shop.

Harbor Freight has a AC vacuum that you can use to prepare the system for a refill.

FSTBK65

Established Member
Harbor Freight has a AC vacuum that you can use to prepare the system for a refill.

I have one of these I think it was on sale for $15 bucks. I have used it quite a few times. Does the trick. Just hook it up to an air compressor.

Users who are viewing this thread