AC blower running at erratic speeds

mikestoyz

Established Member
2012 GT. Base model with manual fan control. I noticed about 3 weeks ago that it sounds like it drops speed(and airflow drops off as well) randomly. Meaning I can be fine for most of the day, then at any moment it will slow, then speed up, slow. Yesterday I had it on max and it felt and sounded like it was on the lowest setting. But then while cruising on the highway, it all of a sudden started working perfectly fine again for the rest of the day.
It does this regardless of setting on the ac (recirc/closed, max AC, dash vent, floor vent, etc.) I rotated the knob several times like you would on a old stereo to get the contacts clean, but that made no difference. Anyone heard of this before? Any clues on where to get diagrams so I can start measuring voltage to see if its the blower motor or some sort of control issue? The intermittent problem makes it tricky to evaluate at home.

Cyclerick

Established Member
I have the same problem with my 2011 GT. Mine seems to blow at max (when set at lowest speed) when I'm accelerating and then settles down when cruising. I'll try to dig up wiring diagram for blower.

mikestoyz

Established Member
I ended up replacing the blower resistor. No luck. It started getting worse. If I tapped on the blower, the blower would start running again. Bought a new blower motor assembly and it did it again. Unplugged the connector to the blower and connected the new one. The new one worked fine. Plugged back into the old one and it didnt work. Swapped out the blower motor and everything is back to normal!

Odd that a blown blower motor could run at high when the control was set on low. I dont know how, but figured a follow up would be good info.

Users who are viewing this thread