ABS Ring Q's

99COBRADROPTOP

Established Member
Well i got the exhaust hangers up and now im on to re-installing my axles and installing the whole rear. But i have one issue, i do not have the ABS rings on the axles. (the gear like ring right behind the wheel studs) Can i run without these and sacrafice the abs in the rear? Or is that a bad bad idea. I do not daily drive the cobra by the way.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
What's missing is called a tone ring I do believe. Running without ABS is your decision. I'm not sure if that will affect the front ABS as well or not.

99COBRADROPTOP

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Does anybody else know of any negative effects of not running the ABS in the rear?? Besides an ABS light

Sea Pony

Workin'! Woot!
Established Member
No tone rings means no abs...period. It won't work on the front wheels either.

Anytime that light is on it is because the computer detected a problem. It does not know what the problem is, so to be safe and avoid having the system activate when you don't want it to it just disables the ABS system.

So your ABS sending unit and all the lines will just be dead weight. If you are going to install without tone rings, you may as well remove the ABS...I can say that, but I don't know how tough it would be...probably not worth the effort for the weight savings.

cobra1923

Established Member
I picked up a '95 that a shop in Ohio actually notched the toner rings to make enough room to pull off the C Clips and not have to break out the speed sensors.. ABS would kick on every time I hit the brakes because the rear reading would vary. I would guess you'd run into a similar problem along with a ABS light on the dash.. They're cheap but you need someone to press them on

99COBRADROPTOP

Established Member
Good info guys, thanks for posting cuz im leaving work now to go put everything together. Oh and her name is Ewa Sonnet. she's got a rack on her if i'v ever seen one :eek:

matted2thefloor

Established Member
Good info guys, thanks for posting cuz im leaving work now to go put everything together. Oh and her name is Ewa Sonnet. she's got a rack on her if i'v ever seen one :eek:

Just remember if you ever want to put the ABS back in operation, you will have to pull the axles. I just put my ABS back together. My SRA wasn't done completely when I bought it. I also had to get the rear brake caliper brackets figured out because it was all wrong as well.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread