ABS Light

Uncle Snake

Established Member
FYI ----- Just had my ABS Light come on while driving and would not turn off. I dropped it off at the dealership to have it checked out. As soon as they turned it off (the ignition) and started the car again the light stayed off. They are going to run diagnostics tomorrow. In the meantime I get the use of a Ford Focus !!

I will update everyone on what they figure out.

BTW, I have 540 mile on the car, light came on during normal driving conditions - at about 30 mph in the city, no heavy acceleration or anything like that, dry pavement etc.

Anyone else have this problem ? I could only find threads regarding the traction control light staying on not the ABS light.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I had the same problem on a '94 gt I had, was a bad wheel spd sensor. It's easy to diagnose youself. Just requires a multi-meter or code scanner.

Uncle Snake

Established Member
I am pretty sure that it is just a wheel speed sensor. I am just trying to let everyone know in case it is something more serious. I will update on this thread tomorrow 9/25/2002 no later than 5:00pm.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I had the smae problem. Brought the car in and the tech said it was a bad ABS sensor. They said it was a $1,000 part. Anyhow they replaced it and it's been a few weeks since the service was done and guess what turned on the other day?My ABS light. I droped off the car for other problems(like failing to start) and after checking out the car they said the part that they replaced was bad and needed to be replaced again. HOpe that helps. If I have more trouble down the road I'll be sure to post. Black03

stangsx2

Established Member
if one doesnt work the other doesnt either, they work together, i was told i have a bad abs pump and need one if anyone has one let me no please.

Uncle Snake

Established Member
Result of Diagnostics

The left rear speed sensor was bad according to computer code. The part is on order and will be ready tomorrow.

FWIW - I talked to both the shop manager and service writer and let it be known that I did not want anyone ragging out my car during a test drive. They assured me that it was their policy that the manager goes along with the mechanic during the test drives on SVT's. I guess they may have had a problem in the past. The test drive note was added to the ticket. Now the question is, do they actually folloe through with the policy ?

Users who are viewing this thread