ABS light on, right turn signal on low,fuel pressue loss

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Here's what happened....
Drove 35 miles on highway daytime 80 drgrees, ABS and right blimker come on and normally running 170 all the time, my coolant temps go up to about 210 at red lights. I reach my destination and check my engine...alternator is practically glowing hot.

Car sits for a few hours and I get back on highway and drive at night 35 miles, about 65 degrees out, car runs at 172 coolant temp the whole way.

I stop for a beer and come out and start the car and it runs like crap and fuel pressure drops to 0 and stalls. I coast into gas station and let car cool for 15 minutes then I get about 2 miles and same thing.

I park car overnight and next morning I start car and fp is fine....ABS light still on but blinkers working fine...I drive 5 miles to my house and car is running fine. I turn on my headlights, bright lights, ac, fan hi, flashers on and go wot, fuel pressure instantly starts to drop, right signal comes on and alternator starts chirping, I turn everything off except for car and fuel pressure started going up to 20 from 10.

I pull alternator and it chirps just hand spinning it. Tested ok but Advance doesn't have the load and can't make the alternator hot. Since car has 110 k and had been spun to ****, I picked up a new alternator.

Based on the way things cut out and the ABS light and the load test I did.

No codes of course.

Alternater comes in tomorrow, what do y'all think?

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
alternator or alternators ground. Check the wiring. I recently had my pigtail fail on me and my dash lit up like a Christmas tree.

big dad

Established Member
You should also load test the battery and check the specific gravity if it's a lead acid type that has removal caps. You should not have more than 25 points difference in spec gravity between the cells (6). If it's more than that the battery should be replaced.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Cool, thanks, added to list for tomorrow.

Was thinking next up would be Frpsensor?

Think of anything else?

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Unbelievable my diagnosis was actually correct so far. And came away with a nice polished unit to match all my other polished shiyat.

I slapped a new alternator on and fired it up and let it warm up in the driveway with AC on. ABS light was on when I first started it up that eventually went off and then my right turn signal light came on. I let it heat up to about 200 degrees and then took it for a three mile blow up run and it"s running good and the fuel pressure is at 30 or higher at all times. Coolants temps are down at red lights and idle.

I'm replacing my bulbs now.

Nice catch on the load test for the battery I would've missed that and that's my next stop so thank for the advice.

Thanks for posting up guys.

Users who are viewing this thread