ABS light on after wheel swap!?

01COBRA2668

Established Member
Recently swapped stock wheel/tire combo for OEM 2K COBRA R wheels with 265/35/18 F and 295/35/18 R. The light used to come on now and then but since adding Brembo Front brake kit, the light comes on nearly every time I dirve it. Brakes are on correctly and I can't figure this out. Any suggestions?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
If your tire (front to back) have different circumferences, then the ABS may see a speed difference between the tires and turn itself onn (ABS light comes on). IIRC, a 5% difference in speed will trigger this.

RamboCobra

GET SOME!
Established Member
If your tire (front to back) have different circumferences, then the ABS may see a speed difference between the tires and turn itself onn (ABS light comes on). IIRC, a 5% difference in speed will trigger this.

I have the same problem im runing a 27.5 tall tire on the back. how do you fix it?

benulis55

Established Member
This happened to me after putting 27" drag slicks on my car but the ABS light is still on. How do I clear it so it goes off and my ABS works again???

01COBRA2668

Established Member
My ABS still works but the damn light is on pretty much all the time now. It used to come on every now and then. I will check the sensors and make sure. Thanks for the info. When swapping tire sizes, you can recalibrate but adjusting the tire RPM based on its size using a handheld tuner. Had to do this on my F-150 when going to 33's. My overall tire sizes are within .10's of each other, can this still be the cause? My speedo still reads accurate.

Drew03

Established Member
Mine does the same thing due to diff wheel size. Is there a way to turn it off and it stay off?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
ABS works by monitoring the rotational speeds of each wheel. When you apply your brakes, it tries to compensate so all 4 wheels stop at the same rate by releasing pressure on the wheel turning the slowest (or stopping the fastest). If it detects a certain difference during normal running (no brakes), then it says, "I can't deal with this crap" and turns itself off, since it won't be able to assist properly when stopping. As far as I know, the only way around this is to choose tires which are the same or very close to being the same circumference. There are tire calculators which give you that measurement based on tire size. I have also found some tire dealers who know this and can help you choose wider back tires within the same parameters as the fronts.

When you reflash the computer, it is only to compensate for a tire size (back tires only) so the speedo reads correctly. It will NOT compensate for differences between front and back. Perhaps the next generation of ABS systems might have such a feature. But for now, matching sizes is your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread