abs light and code 181???

408cobra

hey guys my names john and got a 03 cobra. i am having a few issues with my car, my ABS light stays on all the time along with my traction control button light stays on. also i had a check engine light and have a code 181 which said fuel tempature sensor. anyone know what these mean or how to fix? thanks

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Typically the ABS light and the TCS light are connected and can usually be tracked back to a bad ABS wheel sensor or a bad ABS ECU module. Not sure about your P181 code though.

Mike

408cobra

Well I have aftermarket wheels with no sensors and the light came on a yr after I changed wheels so guess it's the module how hard to change? Thanks

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Well I have aftermarket wheels with no sensors and the light came on a yr after I changed wheels so guess it's the module how hard to change? Thanks

My advice is to take it to a reputable shop and have them diagnose this for you. They have some handheld devices that plug into your OBDII port that can help track down and make sure it is your ABS ECU Module and not something else that could be minor. To replace the ABS Module is expensive, I think the part alone is over $500 from Ford. Labor would probably be another 5-6 hours on top of that. So get it checked out before you even go that route.

I actually have a spare ABS Module if that's what it turnsout to be. I will be more than happy to get it to you for way less than what Ford charges. Just keep me posted.

hotcobra03

Established Member
code 181

hey guys my names john and got a 03 cobra. i am having a few issues with my car, my ABS light stays on all the time along with my traction control button light stays on. also i had a check engine light and have a code 181 which said fuel tempature sensor. anyone know what these mean or how to fix? thanks
...is code 181 the only code?This is from ford manual.. let me see what i can find about abs/tc lite on..have you reset your pcm?and what have you tryed already?

DB1 DTC P0181 CHECK FOR KOER DTCS
Start engine and bring up to operating temperature.
Check for KOER DTCs.
Is DTC P0182 or P0183 present during KOER?
Yes No
For DTC P0181 with DTC P0182 or P0183. GO to DB2 . For DTC P0181 only. COMPLETE an OBD-II Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2, Drive Cycles ). GO to DB2 .

hotcobra03

Established Member
code 181

hey John look this over,if fuses are good and you have reset your pcm,and lite is still lit ,you could have problems in the instument cluster or abs system wiring,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Visual Inspection Chart Mechanical Electrical
Low brake fluid
Anti-lock brake sensor
Anti-lock brake sensor indicator
Base brake system
Wheel bearings
Central junction box (CJB) Fuse:
5 (15A)
15 (10A)
29 (15A)
33 (15A)
35 (15A)
Battery junction box (BJB) Fuse:
ABS 1 (50A)
ABS 2 (20A)
Circuitry
Damaged or corroded connectors
ABS warning indicator
Loose grounds

If the concern remains after the inspection, connect the scan tool to the data link connector (DLC) located beneath the instrument panel and select the vehicle to be tested from the scan tool menu. If the scan tool does not communicate with the vehicle:

hotcobra03

Established Member
we both missed this

Typically the ABS light and the TCS light are connected and can usually be tracked back to a bad ABS wheel sensor or a bad ABS ECU module. Not sure about your P181 code though.

Mike

if cars traction control was turned off (with tuner)the lite will remain on,,,,i always forget to push in my button lol

408cobra

Sorry about the REALLY late response guys. I deff will hook it up to a scanner which can look at it alot better and get more into details. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread