ABS failure?

jbou91

Established Member
Front wheels are locking up under hard braking, no ABS light on the dash. Is this a failed ABS unit?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
possibly

i think step 1 would be to determine if the ABS light actually works - I havent paid attention in a while but i would think when you turn the key forward it would "prove out" and light up on the dash or put the dash in engineering mode using the trip reset button, I believe theres a test for all the dash lights.

typically in these cars when the ABS fails you get the ABS light and traction control is always off (some people have traction control permanently off in the tune though). When something like Forscan or another more advanced device is hooked up it won't be able to read/communicate with the ABS module. If it can't communicate odds are the computer on the abs module needs to be repaired/replaced.

lastly if you're running aftermarket wheels and tires remember that if they're too dissimilar it also turn off the ABS system.

jbou91

Established Member
possibly

i think step 1 would be to determine if the ABS light actually works - I havent paid attention in a while but i would think when you turn the key forward it would "prove out" and light up on the dash or put the dash in engineering mode using the trip reset button, I believe theres a test for all the dash lights.

typically in these cars when the ABS fails you get the ABS light and traction control is always off (some people have traction control permanently off in the tune though). When something like Forscan or another more advanced device is hooked up it won't be able to read/communicate with the ABS module. If it can't communicate odds are the computer on the abs module needs to be repaired/replaced.

lastly if you're running aftermarket wheels and tires remember that if they're too dissimilar it also turn off the ABS system.

What kind of tires are you running?

ABS light works on key on and TC is always off on my tune . I'll hook up my snap on scanner and see if it can communicate.

I'm running TF 18x9 275 40/18 Toyo Proxes Sport (IIRC) and 18x11 305/35r18 R888r on the rear. I believe overall height is similar

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm saying if the tires can't hold mechanically the ABS won't overcome them locking up.

But then my ABS has never worked so I don't really know what to deal with.

vr4

Established Member
I'm saying if the tires can't hold mechanically the ABS won't overcome them locking up.

But then my ABS has never worked so I don't really know what to deal with.
Abs can and will do everything to prevent lockup. It can easily dump all pressure until wheel speed returns.

Dewalt03Cobra

NASCAR Fanatic
Established Member
I had a similar problem several years back.
Question have you changed your rear brake pads recently? If Yes.
They may have made a mistake and not screwed in the piston. If you dont screw in the piston the rear brakes dont engage properly and it
changes your brake bias to the front and messes with the ABS and makes the car brake unpredictably.

Users who are viewing this thread