About to buy a Boss!

CobraKai

Established Member
Hey guys, I haven't posted here in a long time. I sold my 1997 SVT Cobra many years ago and since then have had a bunch of non-ford projects. Currently I am very close to buying a 2012 Laguna Seca Boss 302 that is at a dealership near me. It has under 3K miles and is immaculate! It's almost like they kept it in a cryogenic chamber for the last 4 years. Everything that came with the car like the splitter, brochures, DVD, keychain and spare wheel are all there in their original packaging. The asking price was almost 44K but I've got them down to a little under 40K. The only thing missing is the track key. My questions for you guys is 40K too much for a pretty much brand new LS Boss? And is it going to be an issue getting a replacement for the track key? I will call Ford on Monday but as I continue to negotiate with the sales rep over the weekend it would be good to know. Any thoughts are welcome. I am super excited to join the Boss community.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jabooh1

Established Member
I don't think you can get the TracKey program anymore. If you love that body style awesome. The GT350 is a better car and if you like that body style as well I would spend $10k more to get the Gt350.

I have a '13 LS and will keep it for a long time. I will end up with a GT350 or 2018 GT500 also

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't think you can get the TracKey program anymore. If you love that body style awesome. The GT350 is a better car and if you like that body style as well I would spend $10k more to get the Gt350.

I have a '13 LS and will keep it for a long time. I will end up with a GT350 or 2018 GT500 also

It's not $10k more money though.

OP, curious what color combination that is. My dad sold his last year with 3800 miles.

CobraKai

Established Member
i have seen used ones go for $50k already.

I would love a GT350. Around me they are all 60K and up to 100K. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and everything is more expensive around here! I plan on getting one down the road when prices come down. I have considered buying one out of state, but that has it's own set of problems. I love the Boss and since the GT350 came out there are a lot of them on the market. This one in particular with such low mileage is really appealing. It is Black and red by the way. Just wondering if it is too much for the car. It has the original window sticker with 48K price on it. I am not sure if that is what the guy originally paid. He is a wealthy car collector in his 80's.

Jabooh1

Established Member
If you can get $40k it's not bad since it has low mileage. In Houston an LS with average miles is selling for $38k - $40k or so.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
The track key is no longer available... If the car already has the tune installed however, you may be able to get it re-keyed.

IF!!!! You could get a GT350 for 10k more that would be the way to go. But the Laguna Seca Editions are very rare. I think time will show they will hold their value pretty well from this point forward. Probably better than a base GT350... Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
As the owner of a 2013 LS and a former owner of a 2012 Kona Blue Boss, I have to say that you are making the right choice! Such great cars, so much fun, iconic, and flat-out cool.

Even if you can't get the Trackey, you can get a tune from AED/Lund/etc with cam tune. Sounds like a great car and a pretty good deal, especially given your location.

Good luck and welcome!

CobraKai

Established Member
So I talked to Ford this morning. My local dealership has actually replaced several lost track keys for Boss Mustangs and are ready to do mine if I get the car. The key costs $302 (ironic?) and to install the tune is $320. So for anyone interested you can indeed replace the key and all for around $600. I am still negotiating with the seller but we are close. I will definitely post if it goes through. Thanks for all of the comments!

jeff

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I think the red\black Boss LS look awesome and will likely hold their value. Sounds like a good choice to me. Definitely special cars.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Good info...Funny mine came with the red track key and no "regular" key...Didn't matter though as I wiped that out and went with my custom tune...But the red key still looks cool. :)

Jabooh1

Established Member
I hope you get the deal worked out. Before you spend $600 on the trackey, research custom tunes and make sure you don't want to do that. If I did it again I would probably skip trackey and go with AED.

M91196

Established Member
So I talked to Ford this morning. My local dealership has actually replaced several lost track keys for Boss Mustangs and are ready to do mine if I get the car. The key costs $302 (ironic?) and to install the tune is $320. So for anyone interested you can indeed replace the key and all for around $600. I am still negotiating with the seller but we are close. I will definitely post if it goes through. Thanks for all of the comments!

jeff

FYI

Pretty sure they can't load the track key software .

The only option now is to pull the ECU and send it to Ford Performance for a flash.

This is relatively new, maybe a couple months,something to do with changes in the Ford intranet etc.

TMO has a lot more detail in a thread if your inclined.

Last edited:

CobraKai

Established Member
FYI

Pretty sure they can't load the track key software .

The only option now is to pull the ECU and send it to Ford Performance for a flash.

This is relatively new, maybe a couple months,something to do with changes in the Ford intranet etc.

TMO has a lot more detail in a thread if your inclined.

Ugh, I hope that's not the case. The instructions are here: https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/M-14204-MBTKA_-_Customer_V2.0.pdf

It looks to me like they should be able to do that at the dealership. I'll talk to the technician again before I commit but he said he had done it several times already.

The good news is I got the car yesterday! I LOVE it so far. I will post some pictures in another thread soon. Thanks for all of the input guys!

Jeff

Jabooh1

Established Member
I just looked in my area Houston, and there is a 2012 black/red LS with 3,109 miles for $38,780. I know you said you didn't want to travel, but that gives you an idea of market differences.

CobraKai

Established Member
I just looked in my area Houston, and there is a 2012 black/red LS with 3,109 miles for $38,780. I know you said you didn't want to travel, but that gives you an idea of market differences.

I think I saw that car! I think it was missing some things like the owners kit and splitter. Looked very nice though and I used it to leverage a better price on the one I bought.

M91196

Established Member
Ugh, I hope that's not the case. The instructions are here: https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/M-14204-MBTKA_-_Customer_V2.0.pdf

It looks to me like they should be able to do that at the dealership. I'll talk to the technician again before I commit but he said he had done it several times already.

The good news is I got the car yesterday! I LOVE it so far. I will post some pictures in another thread soon. Thanks for all of the input guys!

Jeff

This is from a few weeks ago
Search "track key discontinued" and you will see ford performance explained how they can work around it.
f9dc544a3c6f3818de97317d3d67d595.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread