About to buy a 2.2 Kenne Bell, a few questions...

kng1999

Established Member
I found a used 2.2L Kenne Bell for sale and am about to pull the trigger on it, also comes with an Accufab SBTB. It has just been freshly rebuilt by Kenne Bell. I absolutely love the whine of this blower, and can't wait to have it put on.

I'm mainly concerned about the fuel system. The most common setup I see is a Fore hat with twin Ford GT fuel pumps and 60's. When I talked to the shop that will be doing the install, they said I should go 80#'s and with different pumps as the Ford GT pumps are not compatible with a return style fuel system (which I may plan on doing in the future, but not now).
I don't know a great deal about the fuel system in general, but would 80#'s be too high? Like getting a big blower and spinning low boost, I'm worried they are too big for the kind of power I'll be making (high 500's, nothing over low 600's).
Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, be it fuel system related, or things to look out for with the KB :beer:

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I recently just bought a 2.2 kb and im pretty much in the same boat you are in. From the searching around that ive done so far, you should be good with 60 lbs injectors unless you want to go E85, then you would want to use the 80's. Also for fuel upgrades you should be fine with a 40 amp KB Boost a pump. The fuel pump upgrade isnt completely necessary for your set up. For me im wondering what the best tune to run for my car is, i feel like thats going to be the hardest thing to figure out. And my KB didnt come with any throttle cable brackets so when it comes in the mail i would appreciate it if you could pm me a picture of them so i can make some myself lol. Thanks and good look with the new SC!

kng1999

Established Member
I recently just bought a 2.2 kb and im pretty much in the same boat you are in. From the searching around that ive done so far, you should be good with 60 lbs injectors unless you want to go E85, then you would want to use the 80's. Also for fuel upgrades you should be fine with a 40 amp KB Boost a pump. The fuel pump upgrade isnt completely necessary for your set up. For me im wondering what the best tune to run for my car is, i feel like thats going to be the hardest thing to figure out. And my KB didnt come with any throttle cable brackets so when it comes in the mail i would appreciate it if you could pm me a picture of them so i can make some myself lol. Thanks and good look with the new SC!

I had to have a KB Boost a Pump installed when HPP tuned it last year, so I'm covered on that one. I trust the guys up there when it comes to tuning, they did a great job on mine already.
If E85 is in my cars future, so is a complete return fuel system as well.

Hope to have it in a few weeks, will do! :beer:

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I trust the guys up there when it comes to tuning, they did a great job on mine already.

What all do you need when you tune a car? Do you just take the car up there and they handle the rest or do you need a handheld tuner like SCT or Diablosport to accept the tune? Ive had people i work with tell me i need a whole new ECU just to be able to accept the tune, so im kind of confused.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What all do you need when you tune a car? Do you just take the car up there and they handle the rest or do you need a handheld tuner like SCT or Diablosport to accept the tune? Ive had people i work with tell me i need a whole new ECU just to be able to accept the tune, so im kind of confused.

Usually you can get the hand held from the tuner. If you want to save a few bucks you can buy one used. Just make sure it's unlocked and it matches the software the tuner is going to use. As in if your tuner uses SCT get an SCT hand held. The hand held is used to hold and load the tune into the car. You don't need a new ECU.

bigmoose

Established Member
2.2KB here. My old setup was 93 octane at 20#s. I ran a fore hat with GT pumps and 60s. At my boost I needed a BAP for a little headroom.

My new setup for "E85" is a full fore return system with 80s. Car did 649whp running E70.

kng1999

Established Member
2.2KB here. My old setup was 93 octane at 20#s. I ran a fore hat with GT pumps and 60s. At my boost I needed a BAP for a little headroom.

My new setup for "E85" is a full fore return system with 80s. Car did 649whp running E70.

Thanks for the info! I plan to run maybe 17# to 18#. At that boost, the fuel setup you had was plenty sufficient? I will be on 93 for the foreseeable future

bigmoose

Established Member
I would think so. I was duty cycle was close to 100% without the BAP. Since you are a few pounds lower you might be fine. You'll need to datalog to be sure. I should also note that it was a fore hat, stock lines, with a wire upgrade and modified FPDM. The hat and wire upgrade will help your duty cycle a few points.

kng1999

Established Member
I would think so. I was duty cycle was close to 100% without the BAP. Since you are a few pounds lower you might be fine. You'll need to datalog to be sure. I should also note that it was a fore hat, stock lines, with a wire upgrade and modified FPDM. The hat and wire upgrade will help your duty cycle a few points.

Could you tell me what the wire upgrade is? Is it one of the options on Fores website for their fuel hat? (the FC2 or FC3)
I found a used Fore hat with GT pumps for sale, he does say I would need an adapter to attach stock lines. Is it that way with all of them?

kng1999

Established Member

GodStang

Established Member
80s are not too big. Very good choice on injector. If I remember correctly GT pumps are in fact compatible with a return system just maybe not the best choice and if you are swapping everything out for a return I would look at some Walboros.

kng1999

Established Member
80s are not too big. Very good choice on injector. If I remember correctly GT pumps are in fact compatible with a return system just maybe not the best choice and if you are swapping everything out for a return I would look at some Walboros.

Yea HPP told me as much about the GT pumps. A full return system may be in my cars' future, but if so, I will be buying a complete setup all new. Did decide to go ahead and get 80s. I actually already bought a Fore hat with dual GT pumps from the market here just a few days ago. And the 2.2 should be here in a week or so :)

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
Yea HPP told me as much about the GT pumps. A full return system may be in my cars' future, but if so, I will be buying a complete setup all new. Did decide to go ahead and get 80s. I actually already bought a Fore hat with dual GT pumps from the market here just a few days ago. And the 2.2 should be here in a week or so :)

I would stress doing a return style system from the start to save on having to get another tune down the road. Iv made the mistake of trying to modify my fuel system to meet the current HP need then as i upgrade my power I need to redo and replace some of my fuel system to meet my new power level. Do it right the first time and be done with it! Return style system with e85 compatible pumps (AEM 320s or Walbro 465s) when you do decide to make the switch down the road and at least 80lb injectors and enjoy the peace of mind:thumbsup:

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
Dont forget about me, i still need those pictures of those brackets when it comes in!:beer:

*edit* next to a ruler would be even more awesome!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread