About the sticky on oil pan capacity...

SynMan5.0

Established Member
I just read the sticky titled "Oil pan capacity test pics" (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413036&highlight=lash+adjusters&page=6) and had a couple of thoughts.

First, high RPM shouldn't matter. There is a check valve in the oil pump assembly that opens and dumps excess oil into the pan when a certain pressure is reached. I would know, because I had an engine builder install the valve upside down. I blew up a few oil filters before I figured out what was going on. A couple blew up at idle (I fixed it in the car without dropping the k-member. Lots of fun with a Canton pan). The point is that the oil system shouldn't build insane pressure, even over 7000 RPM. Ford isn't trying to destroy motors. I'm sure they verified that an adequate amount of oil was left in the pan under all conditions, including high engine speeds for extended periods. Most manufacturers' recommendations are at least a full quart over what is really necessary to lubricate the motor. They do this to protect against the possibility of some oil burn-off between oil changes, among other things.

Second, oil does move around as you drive a vehicle. That's why I wouldn't want the level any higher than it has to be to feed the pump. Oil moves around in the pan as you apply g-forces (accelerating, braking, turning, going over bumps, etc.). The more oil is in the pan, the better your chances are that it's going to slap the crank. I wouldn't go crazy over-filling your oil. Windage robs power and puts stress on the crankshaft.

Last edited by a moderator:

01vert

Established Member
High RPM will add volume as the pump is moving faster and moving more oil and the holes in the heads have no way of draining oil other than gravity regardless of rpm.

Second, this has been beaten to death, run what you want, some will run more and some the factory amount. Only question I am concerned with is does anyone know of any bad effects of running 7 quarts? Seems to be none so there I sit.

BTW, a couple of the last sentences can be self contradictory, that is: run enough to cover the pickup and oil moving around under lateral acceleration. To keep the pickup submerged in these instances, more oil is needed. I would rather have a small amount of oil hit the crank and not have the pickup exposed and lose 1 hp than have less oil and the pickup suck air. A lot of excess oil could lead to foaming but I dont know of anyone here who has had a motor grenade and then the result came back that high levels of oil and foaming sucked air into the pump.

Here we go again.............

darksidestalion

Established Member
In my opinion, i would wanna run the least amount of oil, that is still safe for the engine at all rpms. Not tryn to say running seven courts is wrong, but not for me. I try to keep my oil right in the middle of the dipstik after it sits, on all my vehicles. Thats like 6qts on a cobra. Like jinxd said windage robs power. It might be minor but it does. And even gas mpg which is pretty much lookd over when your tryn to make the most HP. Hell its dyno proven on a 5.0L to make a little more HP when running a qrt low(4). Like 3-5Hp i believe?

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
In my opinion, i would wanna run the least amount of oil, that is still safe for the engine at all rpms. Not tryn to say running seven courts is wrong, but not for me. I try to keep my oil right in the middle of the dipstik after it sits, on all my vehicles. Thats like 6qts on a cobra. Like jinxd said windage robs power. It might be minor but it does. And even gas mpg which is pretty much lookd over when your tryn to make the most HP. Hell its dyno proven on a 5.0L to make a little more HP when running a qrt low(4). Like 3-5Hp i believe?

you logic is messed up.

You would rather chance to loose a motor to make what? 3more rwhp? HAHA

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I dont know about you but when i change my oil, 6 quarts barely reads on the dipstick so adding another quart isnt going to do anything. Plug you mentioned the chance of windage during G forces, Im willing to bet that you wont notice a loss of 2 horsepower for the second or two that some oil comes in contact with your crank. Look at the pictures again and youll see 7 quarts still leaves you fairly low down in that pan...

302venom

yeah its only a 99..
Established Member
Just get a canton 7qt pan with windage tray.if your worried about running 7qts. and losing hp.

elyrain

Established Member
Just to clear things up a check valve is different then a flow control valve. I'm pretty sure the check valve is a one way valve to hold oil in the system when turned off. So it stays full on start up. Although I'm not 100% sure, but most motors work that way.

It may very well control the flow also, but I doubt it, because you need the psi to increase for every increase in rpm. And if it's mechanical, I don't see how it could regulate 30psi @ idle then 40-60 @ high rpm.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Ok everybody get in a circle and grab each other cause we all know bassani sounds the bestest.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Jeezus. Sorry for ruining everyone's day. I don't frequent this site anymore, and this is a big reason why. I didn't realize there was so many threads about this. I happened to do a search and come accross the thread and had some input. I guess I'm just supposed to keep my mouth shut until I read every damn thread on the site.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
...Hell its dyno proven on a 5.0L to make a little more HP when running a qrt low(4). Like 3-5Hp i believe?

That's true. I even remember an article in MM&FFs or 5.0 magazine where they dynoed an engine to test this theory. It made like 5-7 more HP running a quart low. I also remember them talking about how manufacturers purposely give you a bunch of reserve with the factory recommendation. I have never seen anything that would convince me to over-fill my oil, nor have I ever seen proof of someone destroying a motor because they ran it at the recommended oil level or even a little low.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Just get a canton 7qt pan with windage tray.if your worried about running 7qts. and losing hp.

Have one, thanks. Wonder why they designed it with trap doors in the sump... Gee, maybe windage is somewhat of a concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread