?? about physical test

magnumxl4

Established Member
i am in the process of application for a Vermont state trooper, part of the physical exam is the body fat percentage. i have gone online to those little calculators and it says thats i am about 26% fat. i am 6' 3" and under 200 around 190-195, it says i should weight 160 to be at the top of average. on the application is says 8% if excellent and according to the thing online i would need to weigh 60lbs. these numbers don't seems right, i am active lift run mountain bike regularly. how do they base these numbers? i don't want to pass all the other( which i know i can) to have these crazy numbers DQ me, is there way or place to find out a more accurate reading of my BF%

thanks

Svt-Sonic

Established Member
I think that it is rediculous to calculate BMI over the internet. There is no way the these websites know how much muscle or fat you have on. I presume that since you plan on becoming an officer your probably in great shape. These little calculators are probably only for people who sit on their ass all day. Sorry if I was wrong in anything I just said, but I think thats all true.

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

I just googled that and there I just dont think that it could be right at 21%.

Just go to a good gym or even a clinic and they will give you an actual one.

mav_tu

Established Member
Yea, online BMIs are way off... They don't take into account if you have very muscular thighs or are very broad shouldered. The only 100% test I know of is when they submerge you in the pool. Don't trust the online stuff!

txyaloo

Established Member
They don't take into account above average muscle mass. Someone that's extremely muscular and over their height/weight requirements would be labeled clinically obese by many of the online calculators. Look online for a calculator that uses the navy method. This takes measurements of neck, chest, waist, height, etc and provides a BMI. It's much more accurate than the one based off of height/weight.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Most agencies use a caliper method. You cant accurately calculate % fat without the use of calipers, or a water tank, or an electro-resistive method.

If you are 6'3" and 200 pounds there is no way you are 26% body fat unless you have very little muscle mass.

magnumxl4

Established Member
yea thats what i figured, i have a 34in waist and i feel am broad shouldered with some decent muscle on me, but the online bmi were scaring me, i just figured they were high to scare people into losing more weight

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
Did you calculate BMI or body-fat? They are two very different measures. There is no way to estimate body-fat over the internet, someone has to physically test you. BMI on the other hand, can be done as it is just based on height and weight. A BMI of 26 is about average, the norm for the index male being 25. Body-fat wise, if you were at 26% as a male, you'd be pretty beefy. The average male % fat is about 15 for young men.

On a side note, the margin of error for calipers is + or - 5%. Any electric method, good luck, they are pretty worthless, all kinds of stuff can affect your body's conductivity. The only really accurate measures are underwater weighing, BOD POD, or a DEXA machine. Otherwise, the number can get very skewed. On the other hand, the calipers are good for changes over time, if the same person administers the test every time.

Users who are viewing this thread