abc news: kids with an anxiety disorder

logan_yomtov

Established Member
So i was just watching abc news and they were doing a report on a study that shows kids with anxiety disorders such as being shy or clingy to a parent should be given zoloft and therapy.

What the hell man, i think any parent who does that to there kid shouldn't be a parent. Just because you're kid is a little shy or gets anxious without a parent around is no excuse to start doping him. This is where actual parenting comes into play. Its not easy being a parent, but your role as a parent is to nurture and prepare the child for adulthood, not drop him off with a therapist and give him some drugs.

It just pissed me off is all. I wonder how many parents watching that tonight are going to take there kids to the doc tomorrow to have them diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.

JasonSnake

Established Member
some people listen to doctors as if they were religious figures. My little brother had ADD badly so my mom was told to give him Ritolin to help him out. He's 19 now and hasn't taken that pill for a couple years but I think it has somehow affected him

logan_yomtov

Established Member
^if its something extreme then i can see medication being necessary, but the report was passing it off as if you have a shy kid he has a problem and should be given drugs. It was stupid.

also, my understanding of ritolin is that its effective only while taken. If your bro hasn't had it in a few years and he seems fine, chances are he outgrew his hyperactivity as a child/teenager

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread