A9L computer swap

#1pony

Established Member
Would a stock 93 Cobra benefit from an A9L computer swap? They do have different computers than the GT's right?

jimbbski

Established Member
IF you change the Mass Air meter with a larger one and is calibrated for 24lb injectors you may. I did this and felt a seat of the pants improvement.

Tank5879

Established Member
I did this swap to a c+l 24 lb mass air and a9l, and sotp was better, throttle response was better, and if you tapped the throttle, there was no delay like factory. the engine reved as you hit the gas not after you hit and released it....I was happier with the a9l than the x3z in mine for sure

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
more than likely you guys that felt a SOP improvement felt it due to the MAF swap and the not the A9L swap. There are only a few differences between the 2 processors

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
What about the timing retard above 92MPH and on shifts?

The Cobras had much softer timing tables, switch to an A9L. I did so on my 347 car. Back in the day people were picking up 3 tenths by ditching the Cobra computer.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
From the files I have seen, the X3Z timing tables and A9L timing tables are not any different.

My experience with doing the A9L swap netted me no gains whatsoever on the dyno or at the track. Yeah you have a speed limiter at 92-93 mph but to be honest I don't think it does anything. I have it turned off in my car but it didn't show any improvement since mine was already modified with a cam and exhaust at the time

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
93 347 Cobra said:
What about the timing retard above 92MPH and on shifts?

The Cobras had much softer timing tables, switch to an A9L. I did so on my 347 car. Back in the day people were picking up 3 tenths by ditching the Cobra computer.

I'll wager the difference was when the MAF was swapped - aftermarket MAF's typically lean the a/f out at WOT compared to stock.

I want to say there is a 1° difference in some of the timing tables. The timing retard above 92 mph made little if any difference. There was no shift retard on the 93 Cobra - I believe that started in 94, but don't quote me on that...

Users who are viewing this thread