A6 Drag racing. 3.15 with 26" tire vs 3.31 with a 28" tire.

Charisma

Established Member
Using a great little speadsheet that I got from wbt, a 3.15 gear, 26" tire, A6 Coyote will have a max MPH of 121.21 @7500RPM, in 3rd gear.

With 3.31s and 28" tires, the same car has a max of 124.22MPH, also at 7500.

3.15s, 27" = 125.87

3.15s, 28" = 130.53

3.55s, 30" = 124.10

PS,
If you are willing to rev to 7700 in 3rd, the 26" tire will get you a max of 124.44

Remember, all these are figured with the tires being as tall as stated. If your 26" tire is actually only 25.7" tall, it skews the numbers quite a bit.

That 7700 RPM limit now gets you only 123.01MPH...

Could you send me that spreadsheet? PM for email address.

casper gt

Established Member
The reading I've done shows that the fastest N/A auto Coyotes are running 3.31 rear gears in the back. In order to stay in 3rd through the stripe, they run a 28" tall tire.

If you run a tire that large, what is the true benefit of using 3.31? Math shows that the larger target negates the benefit of the higher rear end gear?

I'm not doubting the results, just trying to understand what makes this combination better since I am considering gears as one of my next mods.

what your missing here is the converter when your talking about the fastest coyote a6 cars.

your correct that most of the fastest high stall cars run 3.31's, mainly due to traction issues that folks don't want to deal with so the 3.31/28's keep them in 3rd at the stripe, although most still go thru at an rpm that is uncomfortable on a stock bottom end for some folks.

the fastest non converter cars use more gear & go across at the top of 4th. I have 4.10's & 27's (ie. 295/45 17 et street II's) & go across at 7k in 4th with the et/mph in my sig.

the mph/gear chart listed seems pretty solid but you'll never see any of the mph listed with your combo as it sits so it'ss kind of a mute point.

with a season on my combo now, my advice to someone in your shoes would be to decide weither or not your doing a converter & gear the car accordingly, knowing before hand that if you go easy on the gears in preperation for a converter then you'll be leaving some et on the table till you get the converter (I would do both at the same time if the converter is a solid plan)

Bmr4life

Established Member
what your missing here is the converter when your talking about the fastest coyote a6 cars.

your correct that most of the fastest high stall cars run 3.31's, mainly due to traction issues that folks don't want to deal with so the 3.31/28's keep them in 3rd at the stripe, although most still go thru at an rpm that is uncomfortable on a stock bottom end for some folks.

the fastest non converter cars use more gear & go across at the top of 4th. I have 4.10's & 27's (ie. 295/45 17 et street II's) & go across at 7k in 4th with the et/mph in my sig.

the mph/gear chart listed seems pretty solid but you'll never see any of the mph listed with your combo as it sits so it'ss kind of a mute point.

with a season on my combo now, my advice to someone in your shoes would be to decide weither or not your doing a converter & gear the car accordingly, knowing before hand that if you go easy on the gears in preperation for a converter then you'll be leaving some et on the table till you get the converter (I would do both at the same time if the converter is a solid plan)

I've gone back and forth about getting a converter. Problem being that its roughly $2k or more installed and for me that money would be better saved up and added to the FI fund.

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
I've gone back and forth about getting a converter. Problem being that its roughly $2k or more installed and for me that money would be better saved up and added to the FI fund.

If you're doing a TVS or Whipple, I wouldn't change anything except for suspension pieces until you do the blower.

You may not need anything else, depending on your goals and wants.

casper gt

Established Member
If you're doing a TVS or Whipple, I wouldn't change anything except for suspension pieces until you do the blower.

You may not need anything else, depending on your goals and wants.

+1^ if your getting a blower, leave the car alone for now & save up for it.

unless your trying for a record of some sort, you may find the car will be plenty fast enough with just the blower.

there are also safety concerns if you still want to go to the track & care about the rules (ie. cage, etc) if you go too far with mods (although the blower alone should get you into cage teritory)

casper gt

Established Member
Would the 28" tire with 3.15's hurt performance over the 26" with one less shift?

I think 26's vs 28's on an otherwise stock a6 car might just be a wash.

26's might help a little on the starting line but hurt a little down track, 28's would be the oposite.

if I personally was going to stay with the 3.15's & could stand how horrible the car looks to me with the tiny tire on it, I would try 26's first, get any help I could on the 60' & worry about down track with the tune.

drewzx3

Established Member

26's might help a little on the starting line but hurt a little down track, 28's would be the oposite.

if I personally was going to stay with the 3.15's & could stand how horrible the car looks to me with the tiny tire on it, I would try 26's first, get any help I could on the 60' & worry about down track with the tune.

I've been running a 26 and thinking aboyt making the swap. Here lately my cars 60 has been bad.

Flaco1

Established Member
I know this thread is more for an auto trans. But I have a question. Right now now I have 3.73 with my manual trans with a whipple. I run 28in tires and was wondering if it would benefit me getting 3.15 vs 3.31 because I have a chance to swap my rear end with a buddy of mine with 3.15 and no cost out of pocket just my time to do it.

Rodinator

Established Member

I have good 28" Nitto 555r's 275/60r15 my car is a 2014 Auto with a Bama 93v2 tune, off road x, ported stock intake and throttle body and a MIT. Nothing major. I am planning on getting a Circle D 3c later on this fall. Do you think I would be better off keeping the 28's or trying to sell them and run 26" tires to run with the stall? I don't plan on changing the rear gear as I would to ultimately run a Procharger down the road.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I say stay with the 28s. Esp with a blower coming. Plus as mentioned the 26in tires look weird on these cars.

demas

Established Member
So, I'm confused.
Should i switch my A6 to 3.31 from my current 3.15?
Mods in sig.

Users who are viewing this thread