A word of warning about Weldcraft Wheels wheel widening.

Willie

Established Member
If you are considering having your wheels widened (or narrowed), this is information you need to hear before proceeding.

I needed two wheels narrowed and had read many positive comments here about this company, so I removed my wheels and shipped them. The first thing I was told was that one was damaged. They even used the word "unusable". I thought this was very odd as they were on my car for about four years and had no issues prior to removing them. I did not notice any damage while packing them, but I am not a wheel expert. They said they could repair it but wanted a statement from me that it would not be warranteed and "as-is". These wheels have been long discontinued in the size I had, so after briefly shopping around for another and not finding one, I really had no choice to but tell them to proceed, so I sent them my authorization. Note: These are chromed plated aluminum wheels.

After waiting five weeks, they called for payment as the wheels were finished. Four days later, I received them. Upon opening the first box, the first thing I noticed was this >>

IMG_20230306_071112_01.jpg

This is the location of the repair. Let me ask, would you accept this for a show car? Sorry but it's not my GT500.

I contacted them with this pic and as politely as I could, asked if they knew this turned out like this before they shipped. James never answered my question but said that as bad as the damage was, they did pretty good.

In my opinion, I believe they should have expressly told me that this result is possible and given me an option to go or no-go. Not one word was said. Even after they finished the job, they did not say anything. So I was in disbelief when I saw this.

Hypothetically, if a repair results in cosmetic damage, especially on a chrome wheel that hides nothing, should that repair be done? There must be a line on what is considered acceptable and not acceptable. Would you agree? Inspecting my wheel in detail, it appears the chrome is close to flaking off.

The "as-is" statement that I put into writing makes an assumption that this applies to the repair. Like I said, I am not a wheel expert, but using plain common sense.

Having this blemish, I cannot use either wheel and I offered a compromise. I have not heard back.

My advice to anyone wanting this work done, do NOT send them used wheels. If you do, have them inspected prior to shipping. And if they still claim there is damage and want you to sign a waiver, explicitly state that the repair cannot affect the cosmetics of the wheel, and if there's any possibility of this occurring, to not do anything. I say this because James feels this repair (look at my pic again) was done very well.

After almost two months without my wheels, I am currently out almost $1000 and lost a good pair of wheels. Do not subject yourself to the same.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
What specifically was damaged on the one wheel? Did they send pictures?

I’ll be honest, i have had 4 sets of wheels widened at Weldcraft. 2 sets new and 2 sets used. 1 wheel on one set needing a repair and separately one wheel on my older jeep. I have had 0 issues with them.

Sucks this happened.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Impact damage. If someone calls and says your wheel is "unusable" that has looked at thousands of wheels, believe them. The repair was done well, it was on you to tell them the repair had to be done so that the wheel was factory show car perfect or don't do it at all.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Did you take photos of the wheels as you were boxing them up?
Did they send you photos of the damage before they started, or when they informed you of the damage?

Willie

Established Member
What specifically was damaged on the one wheel? Did they send pictures?
Impact damage. If someone calls and says your wheel is "unusable" that has looked at thousands of wheels, believe them. The repair was done well, it was on you to tell them the repair had to be done so that the wheel was factory show car perfect or don't do it at all.
They said one wheel was cracked. No pics received. Honestly I have nothing to prove what they said was true. And I have to ask, if it was cracked, would I have noticed it while still on the vehicle?

I had to turn a brow but had no choice but to believe them. But this is not the issue and I am past it. Before I decided to proceed, one guy I was talking to said there should be no problem, that it can be repaired. So I trusted them. What he neglected to mention is that there might be a small possibility that the repair work could negatively impact the finish..... which it did. My common sense tells me they should have contacted me before shipping and said something. They basically turned the other way OR did not see it, which I find hard to believe.

If I could have found another wheel, I would have sent it to them. But these are long discontinued. I did not see having another choice.

Willie

Established Member
Did you take photos of the wheels as you were boxing them up?
Did they send you photos of the damage before they started, or when they informed you of the damage?
I did not take pics before shipping, only have some still on the car. Hindsight.

Yes, they called and sent me a very grainy video of the wheel rotating on a machine. I could not discern anything from it. Again, I'm past questioning them about the damage. My issue is with the repair and how it affected the finish and them not saying a word before shipping back to me.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Were the wheels re-chromed after modification and repair?

Willie

Established Member
Were the wheels re-chromed after modification and repair?
Nope.

If I run my finger over the affected area, it almost feels like the chrome is bubbling and my picking on it with my fingernail, it would flake off. But don't want to do this.....

Willie

Established Member
That's exactly what happened. The intense heat used to repair separated the chrome from the aluminum. It requires the entire wheel be rechromed. I was quoted $400 plus shipping both ways....

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Nope.

If I run my finger over the affected area, it almost feels like the chrome is bubbling and my picking on it with my fingernail, it would flake off. But don't want to do this.....
Looks like the chrome has separated. You will need to refinish the wheel. Is this a chrome 07-09 wheel? If it is then its most likely an aftermarket chrome wheel because I don't think Ford made those wheels in chrome. It prob won't cost much to refinish.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
That's exactly what happened. The intense heat used to repair separated the chrome from the aluminum. It requires the entire wheel be rechromed. I was quoted $400 plus shipping both ways....
Thats pricey. Look for a place that will do it cheaper.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Thats pricey. Look for a place that will do it cheaper.

This. However prices could of changed since i last had wheels chromed or re-chromed.

Had a set of Roush 18’s re-chomed in 2019. What $150 a wheel plus 50$ to ship back. You pay the cost to ship it to them if you’re not local. So 250’ish.

They are in commiefornia. However i have used them a few times. Super happy with the work.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ugh, sounds like plenty of poor communication. Sorry your wheels get messed up, this is the first complaint about them I can remember.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
ugh, sounds like plenty of poor communication. Sorry your wheels get messed up, this is the first complaint about them I can remember.

Yeah, I think Weldcraft just assumed the OP knew "repair" meant welding and the chrome has to ground away to do that.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Weldcraft is semi local and they’ve widened 3 sets of wheels for me and many local guys.
They do great work.
I’m sorry you had this experience but it’s a risk you take.
-J

CLN 6R

Established Member
I had them widen 2 of my stock GXP wheels some years ago and did a great job. Sorry this happened to you, OP.

FirstTexan

Established Member
Chromed aluminum wheels corrode over time. Causes chrome flaking, usually starts with scrapes around the bead because of wrong tools used during installation and wheel weights on the outer rim. Common stuff over time. Once this starts it's like cancer. Best to junk the wheel. IMO

blazen71

Midnight Marauder
Established Member
I’ve had 2 pairs of marauder wheels widened 1.5”. They came out awesome. One wheel didn't even need wheel weights!

Users who are viewing this thread