a warning that made me think...

8616v

Shakin
Established Member
its about 2am and i'm going from work to get some lunch and i'm just crusing along minding my own business when i run by a patrol car parked on the median... i look down and notice i'm doing about 45 in a 35...I look back to my rear view and sure enough the headights are come on and hes moving...so i'm like shit. I start looking for a place to pull over, flip on the hazards and go for the nearest parking lot. anyway when the officer approaches me he asks the standard speeding question...why you going so fast. to which i give my standard reply of i just wasn't paying attention. Then he says don't tell me that...then i'll have to right you a ticket for inatentive/reckless driving...just say you messed up. I tell him that and i'm sorry. he says slow it down and leaves. Now i'm woundering how many tickets i've talked myself into over the years with my (not paying attention respose)\

so my question to you LEO's is...have I been doing that, talking myself into a ticket, is it better to just say yeah i ****ed up when asked were the fire is? or does it really matter?

also...does hitting the flashers while i'm looking for a good place to pull over appropriately convey my intent or is the general consensus to just stop where i am...I've always thougt it better to get off the road if possible, especially on city streets with no shoulder.

jlauth

Established Member
I have heard that you are never supposed to say that. Just tell him exactly how fast you were going, and where you were going.

beabout

Established Member
Generally the ticket vs warning decission is made before they get out of the car. Unless you are a complete asshat when talking to the officer you will get what was decided on.

EVLSVT

Banned
Generally the ticket vs warning decission is made before they get out of the car. Unless you are a complete asshat when talking to the officer you will get what was decided on.

that is too hard to tell...

But saying that you were not paying attention.. LOL who told you to say that?! That is the worst response you can give besides "go back to dunkin doughnuts!" lol....

I was at an all rice meetup (i know i know) because I had a friend there and he really wanted me to bring my car there. Everyone does burnouts as they leave, and I am the last one. I rip a monster burnout.. and a cop is right there the whole time and pulls me over!!! I thought I was ****ed.. but I always act nice, and all I say is it was a stupid idea and I am sorry.. and he let me off...

this has happened 5 times since I have owned the car. I have had 2 speeding tickets, 61 in a 35 and a 42 in a 20(or close to that-dont remember the exact #'s)... both simple tickets that got dropped... (could of given me a reckless... 22 over.. but I am always nice..) it's like they live the car...

Mac25

Established Member
As an LEO, I would prefer you to be honest. It looks better on you. However, most lawyers would recommend not admitting to anything due to your comments are admissible in court. It's a 50/50 chance. What would you prefer, someone who is honest or someone who lies to your face?

Turning your flashers on does signal you acknowledge you are going to pull over. Just make sure you slow down and listen for directions from the officer. You can also roll down all windows, turn on your interior light during nighttime situations, and keep you hands on the steering wheel. .

8616v

Shakin
Established Member
But saying that you were not paying attention.. LOL who told you to say that?! That is the worst response you can give besides "go back to dunkin doughnuts!" lol....

no one...i never could come up with anything else to say beseides "i dont' know i guess i wasn't paying attention..."

...It is honest...i tend to not watch my speed every second that i'm driving...not to say that i'm an unattentive driver i just watch other things more...but i see how it would be better to own up to the fact that i was speeding and know thats why i got pulled over...
it was the first verbal warning i've ever gotten so its kinda made me think...usually all i get is "lic and reg...whats the hurry?" followed by a ticket...

thanks.

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Honesty is the best policy. I can't remember the last time I got a ticket but have been pulled over several times. I just tell him what I was doing and they give me a warning. I even think if you were honestly not paying attention, it's better to admit what the officer has pulled you over for. 9 times out of 10, they'll let you off with a warning. But the minute you start denying things and questioning them, they'll write you up. Just better to concede to them even if you think you're in the right. If they pulled you over for no valid reason, other than to see who's in the car, so be it. They're just doing their job. I would rather them pull me over all day without PC, then to not pull over anyone and let the bad guys they eventually would fine, go free.

I got pulled over again last night by the same cop who pulled me over last week and when he came up, he was like "Hey, didn't I pull you over last week?" and I chuckled and said "Yes sir, you did". I told him I finally got my car to pass smog and he started asking me what they did and how much and he was totally cool with me. He even asked me if I remember seeing a Mustang the night he pulled me over because it was racing another car and ended up crashing. We chatted a bit and then he told me "I have to go.. I'll talk to you later.." Had I asked him why he pulled me over, the outcome would've been much different.

Last edited:

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
as a leo i also would prefer honesty, as opposed to some b.s. answer that i can clearly see is b.s. i would be more inclined to cut someone some slack if they said, oops, damn officer i didnt think i was goin that fast. but, u can talk yourself into a ticket by being a turd, no officer wants to hear a bunch of attitude when we ask u to sign the ticket. the funny thing is, here in dallas by refusing to sign, we are obligated to bring the violator before a magistrate, because the signature is not an admission of guilt but merely a promise to appear. anyway, just answer as truthfully as u can and whatever is going to happen will happen.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
also...does hitting the flashers while i'm looking for a good place to pull over appropriately convey my intent or is the general consensus to just stop where i am...I've always thougt it better to get off the road if possible, especially on city streets with no shoulder.

one of my friends that got pulled over waited till he found a parking lot to pull off in and the Officer asked "how come you didnt immediatley pull over?" he told him that he was looking for a good place and the officer responded "when i turn on my lights, its a good place to pull over"

but at least the hazards show that you are aware you are being pulled over.

8616v

Shakin
Established Member
"when i turn on my lights, its a good place to pull over"
thats funny...

I've never been one to get upset(or give any aditude for that matter) for being pulled over...especially if i get a warning...LEO's have a hard enough job as it is they don't need me get all pissy with them...i'm sure are plenty of other people that do that...

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Don't ever disclose the speed you were traveling - just say you were paying attention to the road and not your instruments.

Admitting to speeding and / or giving the officer a speed will usually result in him writing that speed on the ticket if he did not already have you clocked with radar/laser/pacing- not always - but there is certainly a greater chance of being written up for that speed if you disclose it.

If he did not have you clocked - then he cannot write a speed down unless you give one to him. Granted he could cite you for other things, but they probably would not be as damaging as the speeding ticket.

Last edited:

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
It comes down to IMHO (I'm not affiliated with any civilian law enforcement)

Was the infraction minor enough, that if you are completely honest and still written a ticket, you can live with the fine, as you admitted guilt to the officer?

If your answer is no (shame on you for driving so fast!), then the below would be my advice.

I suppose honestly is the best policy, however if you feel you can't accept the consequences of your actions, a denial of guilt and yes and no answers accompanied by cooperation would probably be the best course of action if you feel that court is going to be your place of resolution for the matter.

Remember, when it comes to testifying in court, the officer works for the state, not you. He's not going to lie to convict you, but don't expect him to do anything but his job, which is to testify to everything he saw and heard that was relevant to your guilt or innocence in the matter.

Your best option however remains, Don't do anything to make them pull you over in the first place. Not breaking the law is 100 percent proven to reduce traffic fines.

Ask your local LEO about it =-p

'95yellowGT

Established Member
probly really depends on the officer, but the few times ive been pulled over and asked, "why were u goin so fast" or "Do u know why i pulled over" i usually always say something like i guess i was goin to fast sir. except this one time i was pulled over and i had no idea y, the officer asked, "do u know y i pulled u over son" (thats right son) i said honestly sir i have no idea and he said "ur tag light is out" i was oh ok im sorry officer and he handed me a $35 ticket and i was on my way. thought it was gay but neways. yeh honesty is usually the best way to go about it.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
I got a ticket for no license plate the other day. I had the plate behind my seat and explained the car was purchased in Indiana and Saleen doesn't offer a plate frame....still got the damn ticket...honesty w/o reward!!!!

roach4047

Established Member
I try to pull over in a place that is safe for both myself and the officer which won't hinder the flow of traffic if possible. A bullet proof vest won't stop a 3000 lb car. We've all seen the America's Worst Drivers vids that show an officer getting clipped by a passing car. I'd feel terrible if an officer lost his life because he was merely trying to slow me down.

Roach

neatofrito1618

Established Member
I try to pull over in a place that is safe for both myself and the officer which won't hinder the flow of traffic if possible. A bullet proof vest won't stop a 3000 lb car. We've all seen the America's Worst Drivers vids that show an officer getting clipped by a passing car. I'd feel terrible if an officer lost his life because he was merely trying to slow me down.

Roach
Yep, it pissed me off when people pull over in the right or left turn only lanes. Wait an extra couple seconds and pull into a street or buisness or somthing, Christ people are stupid.

Last edited:

97NA_Cobra

Established Member
"when i turn on my lights, its a good place to pull over"

Funny, but true. Any officer worth anything will wait to initiate a stop when he knows he's in an area that is safe for a stop. Personally, if I'm not comfortable with the area that the citizen has stopped at, I'll prompt them on the PA to move to an area that will give me the advantage.

Attitude is everything when you are stopped, just be straightforward. It will get you farther than trying to make excuses.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I got a ticket for no license plate the other day. I had the plate behind my seat and explained the car was purchased in Indiana and Saleen doesn't offer a plate frame....still got the damn ticket...honesty w/o reward!!!!

There is a thread here dealing with Texas and front plates as part of the thread .. check it out for options.

Users who are viewing this thread