A True Test...

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Petersen's 4 Wheel Offroad comes through with a true off road truck test. Great article and some great pictures!:D:driving:

2010 4X4 Of The Year - 4-Wheel & Off-Road
Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
Most of the 4x4s in our test have been around a while. Power Wagon was a household name since your grandfather started four-wheeling, and 4Runner and Hummer garner respect depending on which audience you mention them to. Although the F-150 isn't anything new on the 4x4 scene, Ford's new SVT Raptor is something special. All the other major 4x4 manufacturers-Jeep, GM, Toyota, Dodge, and Nissan-have designed vehicles specifically for the present-day off-road market, but not Ford. Yes, the Super Duty is a strong truck, and Broncos were legendary, but a new truck from Ford has finally shown up at the off-road party-and, boy, is it ready dance!

2010 4X4 Of The Year Raptor Blast Gaurd
The Raptor package doesn't just mean pretty stickers on an F-150. Like the other contestants in this year's test, the Raptor packs a mean punch, with a 320hp 5.4L Triton V-8 (a 6.2L V-8 is due in early 2010), internal triple-bypass Fox Shox, a selectable rear locking differential, and a completely new front and rear suspension versus the standard 1/2-ton Ford. Then there is the various adjustable off-road calibrations that changes shift points and traction control settings and offer the possibility to shut off all the 4x4 nannies and let you assume responsibility for your tire-spinning, dirt-drifting, desert-racing self.

2010 4X4 Of The Year Ford Raptor Flex
The exterior styling has wider front and rear fenders, a new hood, a new grille, and different lights, including hidden marker lights, all designed to cover and keep legal the extremely wide Raptor when running down the highway. These looks brought drool to some judges and disgust from others, but everyone agreed that it might be a bit wide for tight rockcrawling trails. However, the Raptor took to the rocks like a fat Elvis on stage (it didn't look great, but it worked out fine). The aluminum step boards (actually designed to protect the wide fenders from gravel sprayed from the front tires) held up great and took their share of rock rash without complaint.

The big and bold exterior styling of the truck carries over to the interior with bright orange accents and high bolstered seats. These seats quickly gained fame as the best seats in the test, holding us firmly in place as the truck leapt over washouts and whoops.

2010 4X4 Of The Year Ford Raptor Fox Shox
The position-sensitive shock tune seemed to walk over the rocks just as smoothly as it flew over the harshest desert whoops. The Raptor worked excellently in the high-speed desert section of our test, and no surprise there since we came to learn that our test crossed the same desert floor that much of the Raptor's initial development was done on.

In loose sand the Raptor's soft suspension resulted in some serious wheelhop off the line, and we never felt like the 5.4L V-8 was enough motor. In any hillclimbing scenario the Raptor had to be driven like a race truck, full throttle assaults carrying speed would take you up hills that other trucks could just crawl, but the impressive suspension allowed this type of use (abuse).

The Raptor also outperformed the Power Wagon and 4Runner on one particular high-speed asphalt section that included a variety of dips, keeping straight and true while the competition's track-bar-equipped suspension jogged side to side during axle movement.

In the end the Raptor is a niche vehicle. Although it's a truck, it's not rated to tow or haul like the Power Wagon, and although it's comfortable, it is still only offered as an extended cab, so the 4Runner has it beat for people-hauling duties. Nonetheless, this is a very impressive machine.

The Quotes
•"Not a crawler, but you don't buy a Raptor to crawl."
•"It looks cool, drives fast, and seems to take any abuse."
•"You can fly this thing."
Every truck in the 4x4 of the Year test had at least one selectable locker, most had aggressive tires, and each truck was designed with the off-road enthusiast in mind. So who left the ring with the belt, the title, and 365 days of bragging rights? Ford's '10 SVT Raptor F150.

We had serious doubts that the engineers in Ford's SVT program, known for making great high-performance cars, could deliver a truck worth a hoot in the dirt, but we're delighted to be proven wrong. Maybe it was influence from their Super Duty brothers. Maybe it was their outside-the-box approach. Maybe it was just good ol' engineering, looking at a problem and finding the best solution. Whatever it was, the Ford engineers did it well and delivered a truck like no other on the market, finally taking the win in a test that Ford hadn't done well in before.

2010 4X4 Of The Year Winner Trophy
That brings up another point. The Raptor isn't a Rubicon, Power Wagon, FJ Cruiser, Xterra, or H3. While those trucks are built to go over the biggest mountains, the Raptor simply puts the hammer down and makes a high-speed run of going around the mountain.

The Raptor had many attributes that helped it rise to the top. Though wide, the Raptor had a good turning radius, which really helped it when dropped in a rock garden. Also, though we all wanted more power from the 5.4L V-8, it did have a great exhaust sound. The graphics and bright red/orange paint of our Raptor made it stand out from the rest, but it is also available in basic black, white, and blue, with or without the bold graphics package.

2010 4X4 Of The Year Winner 2010 Ford F150 Svt Raptor
The Raptor's dial-controlled transfer case was a disappointment to the old-dog judges, but it never failed or wouldn't shift, so it was hard to berate.

The suspension of the Raptor is what really helped it perform off road with rarely a jarring bounce, due in no small part to the collaboration of Ford and Fox Racing Shox. The internal bypass shocks move 11 and 12 inches of front and rear wheel travel, respectively.

Internal bypass shocks are not uncommon among desert racers, but they are groundbreaking in a production pickup truck. The additional wheel travel requires longer front A-arms and a wider matched rear axle, and thus the larger fenders to cover both. We do like form following function.

In the end the Raptor just felt more dedicated to the sport of four-wheeling. It made compromises, but always in favor of off-road performance. The other two trucks might be more well-rounded, but the Raptor is just more fun.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
i just bought a new f series truck and now regret not getting the raptor.....damn

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I get that mag as well as Four Wheeler, who gave the TOTY honors to the Dodge Power Wagon. I'll admit that the PW is a much better all around truck with its dual lockers, winch, and swaybar disconnects. It's pretty much the ultimate hauler for offroad excursions. Still, nothing would beat the excitement of owning a Raptor and blasting down dirt/sand roads at 60+ mph.

I think sometime in the future I might have to look into a used Raptor as a tow vehicle for the Jeep...

dtd01svt

Established Member
I think the 6.2 is in my future. We'll see how this summer goes.....need my hours back dam it!!

Users who are viewing this thread