A Tale of Unfortunate Events

JB85

Established Member

so in the last 72 hours, this is what has happened....

driving my kid home from daycare, we hit a deer in the wifes SUV, car is toast.
Head of deer and a mailbox I hit when I tried to swerve out of the way, impacted the windshield, and glass went in my mouth. Spit most of it out

So now we are down to only my truck and the saleen....

1 day later, I wake up choking up blood, blood all over our bed sheets. I have glass stuck in my throat. I get in the saleen and haul ass to the hospital. I live in a very rural place, so nearest hospital is 45 minutes away. I am about half way to the hospital and bam!!! the ****ing goddamn piece of shit intake manifold cracks. antifreeze everywhere! I pull over on the side of the road.

luckily my mom is retired and she comes and gets me to take me to the hospital, my wife shows up and waits with the saleen so no one steals it, until the tow truck comes.

ER puts me into an emergent endoscopy to remove the rest of the glass...

Now I order a new intake.....the dorman POS one.

I started tearing down the car today to get to the intake and boy..... what a piece of shit job this is. Ford did an awful job engineering it. I can get my Tundras intake off in 30 minutes. This POS intake is going to take me a few hours.

as i start the tear down....I notice this in every spark plug hole....its ****in filled with antifreeze.

I checked the oil and its perfect. No milkyness or anything. Then I take off the spark plug and notice that the original saleen wires are corroded and its so bad, its like pebbles inside the connections. how was this car even running???

so heres my dilemma...since I am rebuilid the cobra motor (as seen on this thread here: 4.6 4v Teardown & Build Thread)

should I just start the swap now? or....is the car savable? I really need two cars right now and the repair shop cant even schedule us for an "inspection" unit october 25. From there is another 2-3 months before the can fix the car.

For anyone that has done this? is the 2v to 4v swap pretty straightforward? does almost everything bolt up without issue? if so, ill just rip out the damn motor now and try my hardest to have it fixed asap. if not, ill just put the intake on this weekend and call it a day until the 4V motor is finished.

All i can say is FML.

Attachments

• IMG_4580.jpg
    IMG_4580.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4584.jpg
    IMG_4584.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 73

01yellercobra

Established Member
The plugs were probably filled when the crossover cracked. If the oil is good I'm sure you're fine.

I don't remember all the particulars of the 4v swap, but I do remember some wiring needing to be done. I can't remember if it's just the IAC or if there's more.

IMO, swap the intake and save the engine swap for when you have another car. Things always pop up when doing stuff like that. Let life settle down a bit.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The plugs were probably filled when the crossover cracked. If the oil is good I'm sure you're fine.

I don't remember all the particulars of the 4v swap, but I do remember some wiring needing to be done. I can't remember if it's just the IAC or if there's more.

IMO, swap the intake and save the engine swap for when you have another car. Things always pop up when doing stuff like that. Let life settle down a bit.

what he said. that intake has probably been leaking a little for a while and then failed completely. Blow out the spark plug tubes with some shop air, then get em dried out, (might be a good time to replace the plugs while you're there) throw on some new wires and the new intake and should be good to go.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I would also wait on the swap. You never know what can cause a slow down when doing that. Just fix what you have and swap when you have time and can focus without being under pressure.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Glad to hear you're better. Hope your wife's suv gets repaired asap and you're the intake replacement goes smoothly.

Sometimes all the bad shit hits the fan at once. It'll get better.

JB85

Established Member
**** ME. so I replaced the intake on the car after 3 weeks. Finally decide to turn the car on and it ran like shit!! if sounded like I had crossed spark plug wires or some shit. Got a wiring diagram and I connected everything perfectly. So I got a new set of spark plug wires, and new spark plugs......turn it on and its still running like shit! it wont even idle.

soooo I get insanely mad and lose my cool, which i rarely do and throw my wrench across the garage and scream ****. I realized that I had not put in anti freeze yet, so I add in a gallon of 50/50 anti freeze, start her up and guess what the ****kk happens. the goddamn piece of shit motor blows. instant rod knock. what the ****ing christ....

I go look at the intake, and the new doorman pile of shit was bad from the get go, must of been a lemon. it was leaking out the metal cross over on the bottom where it bolted onto the block. so I am guessing all that antifreeze when right into the cylinder head and just fubar'd the motor.

f this.

glad my cobra motor is being rebuilt. So i called around to a few shops that specialize in mustangs, and they are all 1 year out from doing the swap. Im just so pissed at this point that I want someone else to do the swap. so if anyone on here is in WA state, i would greatly appreciate any help, or any knowledge of shops that can do the swap. i legit give up.

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
**** ME. so I replaced the intake on the car after 3 weeks. Finally decide to turn the car on and it ran like shit!! if sounded like I had crossed spark plug wires or some shit. Got a wiring diagram and I connected everything perfectly. So I got a new set of spark plug wires, and new spark plugs......turn it on and its still running like shit! it wont even idle.

soooo I get insanely mad and lose my cool, which i rarely do and throw my wrench across the garage and scream ****. I realized that I had not put in anti freeze yet, so I add in a gallon of 50/50 anti freeze, start her up and guess what the ****kk happens. the goddamn piece of shit motor blows. instant rod knock. what the ****ing christ....

I go look at the intake, and the new doorman pile of shit was bad from the get go, must of been a lemon. it was leaking out the metal cross over on the bottom where it bolted onto the block. so I am guessing all that antifreeze when right into the cylinder head and just fubar'd the motor.

f this.

glad my cobra motor is being rebuilt. So i called around to a few shops that specialize in mustangs, and they are all 1 year out from doing the swap. Im just so pissed at this point that I want someone else to do the swap. so if anyone on here is in WA state, i would greatly appreciate any help, or any knowledge of shops that can do the swap. i legit give up.
Wait... what; even if you were dumping the forbidden green-water into the cylinders it shouldn't cause a rod-knock, pistons will be sparkly clean though

Did you uh.. forget to put enough oil in the engine along with the coolant.. sounds like you were extremely rushed

As for swapping in the 4v, just about any half-decent shop should be able to do that, doesn't need to be a "Mustang pro" situation.. it's just bolts & plugging in the harness

Edit: Hopefully I read all that right, I guess the engine could have hydro-locked if an actual gallon got sucked in at once. It's pretty hard to kill a 2v

JB85

Established Member
Wait... what; even if you were dumping the forbidden green-water into the cylinders it shouldn't cause a rod-knock, pistons will be sparkly clean though

Did you uh.. forget to put enough oil in the engine along with the coolant.. sounds like you were extremely rushed

As for swapping in the 4v, just about any half-decent shop should be able to do that, doesn't need to be a "Mustang pro" situation.. it's just bolts & plugging in the harness

Edit: Hopefully I read all that right, I guess the engine could have hydro-locked if an actual gallon got sucked in at once. It's pretty hard to kill a 2v
ya i did put a whole gallon into the radiator, so I am wondering if a shitload just went in and killed it. Im pretty bummed out.

I think I will tackle the motor install myself. But before I install it, I am going to take it to a dyno shop to have it run and make sure its properly working.

Users who are viewing this thread