A Stroll Down Memory Lane

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
I found this 1970 Mach1 on the internet. Mine looked so much like this one, it made me all misty eyed. When my car was ordered, they called the color Thanks Vermillon. Later, it changed to Calypso Coral. A very red orange color, looked nice with 5 or 6 coats of wax on it.

I bought the car June 28th, 1975. Mine was ordered with all of the suspension goodies, the staggered shocks, big swaybars and stuff off the Boss 302, and a 351 W with an FMX auto. The original purchaser was a Service Manager at a Ford Dealership, and had access to special order items. 351W? He wanted it to be easy to drive, I guess.

It took me less than a year to get a fully blueprinted big block with a C-6 trans in. I shot peened and line bored the crank, did the heads, added an Iskendarian cam, McQuay Norris Nickel Cadmium bearings on every surface including cam bearings, TRW 10.5 Compression Forged pistons and rods. It breathed through an Edelbrock medium rise manifold and a Holley 780 double pumper, Hooker headers with a 3 1/2 inch collector. Spark was provided by a Mallory Unilite ignition. The trans had a full B&M kit with high friction clutches and band, and a 2700 RPM stall speed converter.

I miss that car. When gas went from 49 cents to 78 cents a gallon in '78, I put it in the garage and bought a motorcycle to ride to work. I kept it until financial circumstances forced a sale in 1983. I paid $1500 for the car, had about $6000 in the mods, and literally cried when I watched it drive away with a new owner behind the wheel.

The good news is, with all the beef I added, it was still a high twelve car. 12.82@113 was the best run ever on a track. It was so cool to pop it into 3rd gear at around a 100 MPH and bark the tires. Massive torque, and would pull 154 on the top end. My Stock '03 Cobra will almost pull the quarter, with the same kind of 60 fts, with a lot less displacement. It made so much torque, I blew the front pump out of the C-6 one night pulling on to the top of 2nd. Fairly easy fix, not too expensive.

1970 Calypso Coral Mach1

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
So what's stopping you from getting it :shrug:

Its a freaking sweet as car......:beer: Seen it on the other side of the forum.

How much do they want for it?

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Ouch :eek: Man.....well hope that the Ohio Deal works out well & the company gives u a nice Boner....<sp> Bonus.

That is a sweet freaking ride :rockon:

I'd be happy just to be able to afford some toys for the current pony.

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
Check this out. Part of an Invoice for a 70 Mach1 351 Cleveland

Check the charge for 4 gallons of gas

ari23.jpg

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 03_Sonic Blur
Check this out. Part of an Invoice for a 70 Mach1 351 Cleveland

Check the charge for 4 gallons of gas

ari23.jpg
That's what it should cost now.:bash:

BTW, that's a nice car!

stang99

I seem to remember paying about $3300 out the door for my new 1967 390GTA Mustang. At the time that was a lot of money. The 390 was a runner too, but, unlike our Cobras, it was not faster than the Chevys of the same year. It didn't handle or have brakes as we know them either. But it did shred its Firestone Wide Ovals almost immediately.

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
If I work 20 more years, I'd be 64. I want to be retired before I hit 60.

The 67 K code mustang had more than enough to shred those little belted tires. The neighbor with the Boss 429 had a buddy with a 67 K Code that left may a smoke cloud hanging over the neighborhood.

James is in Florida, is he not?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Yes....James is living it up in some Nice Hot Weather. Stationed with his Father.

Damn but that car is sweet....wouldnt u only have to work 1 more year to cover the car's cost?

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
If I stopped putting money in the 401K, and ate baloney (no bread) only, and lived in my car, sure.

I suppose I could repo cars on the weekend, but that's the worst time. People are drinking all night, and their judgement suffers. Makes them more likely to shoot. Plus, the random gunfire increases on the weekend. Nothing scarier than hearing zzzzztttttt go past from a drive by three blocks away.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Damn....i never knew that Ventura was so Ghetto :eek:

Hum......nah i guess doing Repo's wouldnt be such a great idea.
Why not push on the Secret thing a bit more :shrug: ;-)

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
No real repo money in this county, L.A is where it's at. Thus, the reference to the random acts of violence.

I was watching the news tonight, three pursuits, one in Hemet, one in Carson, one in Crenshaw. Who needs that chit?

Users who are viewing this thread