A Starter Question - Help

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
I have been having an on going starter problem on my 1992 Convertible 5.0. I am currently on its 4th starter since last November. Here is its history.

The first starter that failed last November had been on my Convertible since 2009. It had gradually gotten more harsh in the sound of the bendix engagement until it failed to engage the flywheel at all. When I removed that starter it inspected as a bad starter, the bendix was slightly chewed and the bendix shaft had play going into the end cap. So bad starter and I replaced it.

The second starter started my engine 2 times before failing to engage the flywheel. Same exact failure. It seemed as though it was barely contacting the ring gear. I replaced it with a third starter.

The Third starter, once installed, worked and sounded normal for the first few starts. Beginning with the fifth start it began to become harsh in the sound of the bendix engagement just like the previous starters. On the 9th start the starter failed in the same way as the others. These starters were Autozone lifetime warranted starters.

Last week a friend gave me a used Ford starter he had laying around as an experiment. It looked slightly different than the Autozone starters. The motor section was a little shorter and overall it just looked more heavy duty. That starter has lasted a bit over a week. Three days ago it too did not engage the flywheel. Until today it had missed engaging the flywheel 4 or 5 times. The difference was that when the Autozone starters missed the engagement that was it for them. This starter would start my engine once I cycled the switch to off and did another start attempt. Today, this Ford starter also failed completely, no engagement of the flywheel.

I have done all the inspections and trouble shooting I can think of. Everything checks normal electrically. I and 2 others have visually inspected the ring gear teeth. The teeth inspect fine. There is the occasional chipped tooth. Nothing but a very small chip and nothing consecutive. I have checked for the fore and aft movement of the crankshaft and that is normal.

My Convertible is a 1992 and the literature out there says it should have the more Chevy looking starter but I have owned it for 18 years and it never has. It has the 1991 and older type starter. Is there a difference in a starter from a 5.0 with a manual vs an automatic transmission? I have had conflicting info on this question when actually talking to someone.

If it comes to it, I do have a replacement stock flywheel for the engine. I also have a replacement clutch, throwout bearing, rear main seal, and the upgraded front bearing cover for the T-5 transmission with the steel sleeve for the input shaft. I just want to make sure what my problem really is before I go to the trouble and expense to replace the major parts as I cannot do the job myself for several reasons

So, anyone with any helpful info, please help with some useful advice.

DarkMach1

Established Member
Maybe the starters are staying engaged while the car is running. Change you starter solenoid/relay on the drivers side fender next to the battery, these gave me lots of headaches early on with my fox. I have a mini high torque starter that came out of my fox (was parted out) with low miles if you want something beefier.

BLKFOX

Established Member
Maybe the starters are staying engaged while the car is running. Change you starter solenoid/relay on the drivers side fender next to the battery, these gave me lots of headaches early on with my fox. I have a mini high torque starter that came out of my fox (was parted out) with low miles if you want something beefier.

Like he said, are you sure that the starter is disengaging after the car is running? I ran into the same issue on my car. When I bought the car, the guy didn't know what was wrong with it and why the starter was staying engaged. My car was much quieter then so I could tell the starter was hanging up. It ended up being that the guy had the starter hooked up wrong on the starter solenoid.

DarkMach1

Established Member
Very possible that the first one failed from old age but the rest failed from a crossed wire. I had starting issues back when I bought my fox. I got my mini high torque and a light blue (don't remember the brand) starter relay and I never had starting issues again. Started right away with no hesitation.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Thanks guys but all the electrical checks have passed. The Bendix does disengage. The Solenoid is new. Even though I have never before encountered a shim on a Ford starter, I just bought one. For $6 it is worth the experiment.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Just pulled the Ford starter off. It inspected as ok and serviceable. I reinstalled it using the shim I bought. So far, 12 good starts with no issue. The Ford starter is its 4th starter that failed yesterday.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
The inner fender solenoid is good. it was replaced last November when I replaced the first of the starters. That solenoid replaced one that had also checked good, so now I have 2 good solenoids. All the electrical checks pass and are good. This is a mechanical problem. Help me out with mechanical advice. If anyone reading this is in the Columbus GA area, I would welcome some on site help.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Well as soon as I can afford to replace the flywheel and the clutch I will. It looks like it must be something bad about the flywheel/ring gear. What is bad I do not know. I appreciate the advice while I was doing my own trouble shooting. The latest, I removed the shim and reinstalled the starter. The Ford starter did 4 starts before failing to engage again. I then put the car in 5th gear and rolled it a small distance to allow the flywheel to turn. The car then did 3 good normal starts.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
The starter problem is solved. The ring gear teeth were badly worn. Worn at an extreme angle so therefore too shallow for the bendix gear to engage. I replaced the flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing, rear main seal, pilot bearing, bellhousing, and the tranny front bearing cover/input shaft sleeve with the upgraded one with the steel sleeve. The starter now is quiet and normal on starts. My Convertible drives and shifts normal with none of the adverse noises I had been hearing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread