A Somewhat Quiet X-pipe/Catback combo?

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
I like the Magnaflow Street's (FM Thunders too, but drone city), but do you guys have your own a preferred X-pipe + catback or axle back combos?

Need cats, can't go off-road.

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
I dont mind H pipes too if people have examples, videos.

It's just my third Mustang, I'm a little older now and no longer need to wake up the neighbors to have a good time.

slick3

Established Member
I like the GT500 mufflers the most but it limits me to 2.75" exhuast, no?

Steeda hiflow catted X and corsa sports. This is my setup let me know if you have questions. As always with corsa, zero drone and a unique tone.

[video=youtube;DoH6M7IR2Fo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoH6M7IR2Fo[/video]

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
Thanks, slick. Sounds very smooth yet throaty.
Corsa Sports are 3", right? What diameter is the catted Steeda? What pipes are in between your x-pipe and your Corsas?

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
Also, unless something's changed from the previous mustang models - I believe LT headers would be a no go here in CA just FYI.

Last edited:

slick3

Established Member
Thanks, slick. Sounds very smooth yet throaty.
Corsa Sports are 3", right? What diameter is the catted Steeda? What pipes are in between your x-pipe and your Corsas?

You're welcome. the Steeda catted X is 2.75 same diameter as the over axle pipes. Im running stock over axle pipes with the resonators. Keep in mind although the steeda is catted, its not carb legal either as its no OEM. The axle backs have 2.75 inlets. I decided not to go with a 3'' cat back because from everything I read it was not worth the extra cost unless you were boosted or going for absolute max effort build. Also just a word of advice, I have read that alot of the guys going with some of the 3 inch cat-backs ran into problems with the OTA pipes hitting the rear end while lowered (assuming you want to lower your car).

I to am in California and no LT's of any kinda are not CARB legal. There are a handful of shorty headers that are legal because shorty headers do not move the position of the cats from the OEM location. The only set "proven" to make power in a shorty are the KOOKS and they are not CARB certified. Hence why I am holding off in high hopes that Kooks goes through with the CARB process on these. I have read on a few posts saying that they were trying to acquire certification in 2014 but thats here and gone. If you don't do the install yourself its been said the gains arent worth the total cost anyway.
Sorry for the long post, if you have any questions feel free to pm me at any time.

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
Thanks again, Slick. I appreciate the breakdown.

Coming from Modulars, it seems some of this is pretty transferable in terms of what people do especially in CA.
I've read that buying aftermarket over-axle pipes was a waste. Is there much being left on the table staying 2.75" rather than going 3" from the cats? I plan on eventually having a Boss intake manifold and revving decently high as well.

And I do plan on lowering and doing rear suspension upgrades, so that's a good point.

blackcoyote13

Established Member
I'm using the Kooks Super Street 1-7/8" Shorty Headers, stock cats, Borla 2-3/4" after cat x-pipe with Vibrant 3" flex sections, Magnaflow 3" resonators replacing OEM resonators, GT500 mufflers.

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
Instead of doing a hi-flow catted x mid with 2.75 through, wouldn't similar gains be had by a 3" cat to axle X with my choice of axle back mufflers?

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
Steeda catted X with GT500 over axles sounds pretty good to me.
I wonder if it would pass the sniffer or if I need to switch it out each time.

Last edited:

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
i had flowmaster force 2 with full exhaust and after two days i put stock mufflers back on sold flows and got gt 500 mufflers.couldnt be HAPPIER.

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
I've more or less settled on an after cat X and GT500 mufflers for sound since not a lot of performance is being left on the table vs going 3" full.

Corsa's do sound good, just wish there was the rwhp gain for exhaust to justify the coin when running cats.

rotarymagic

Established Member
I run a pypes offroad x into 2 16.5 bullet mufflers into 2 dynomax ultraflo mufflers with 3 inch piping throughout. I believe if it had cats, it would be as quiet as stock since it is basically stock level volume outside of the car, but with more of a muscle car rumble. Doesn't drone in the drone zone between 1800-2200.

Last edited:

SixPak

Established Member
I just posted this in another thread;

I have the BBK LT's and catted X-Pipe running thru some 18"x3" Dynamax Bullets in place of the resonators. Then I hung some GT500's out back. Nice and tame in the neighborhood or going easy on the loud pedal, but will wake up the dead at WOT. I put the Bullets on to increase the flow, and they got rid of the rasp created by the X-Pipe. Great combo, IMO. With the tune it definitely doesn't smell stock, but then it's not a damn Prius either.
FWIW, I had the Roush AB's before the GT500's, but they were just too loud, and not in a good way. No way to keep the noise down when you didn't want it.

Users who are viewing this thread