A scammer? Your opinions, please

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
why not meet at your bank and make sure the check deposits? pretty straight forward

a bank check is different from a personal. it means the loan/account has the available funds, its as good as cash. did it when i sold my STI. met the guy at my bank, he handed me the bank check, I handed it to the teller, she cleared it, I signed my title over. done deal.

my cousin can tell you all about how that can blow up in your face lol.

Perhaps you could go with him to the bank and watch him get the certified check from the teller. I've done that before.

this

Is he local? Tell him to bring the check, go to his bank with him and cash it.

this

you want to know another "good" scam you can get burned on that ive seen recently? when buying a used car. seller sells you a stolen car with a swapped VIN from a legit car. unless you thoroughly check to make sure all the VINS on the vehicle match each other (who does that?) you can easily believe it. now imagine having a $30k loan out for said stolen car. guess who gets ****ed on that deal? :read:

s_x_i

Established Member
Go with him to his bank.

He's probably taking out an auto loan for the purchase. My bank won't release funds to me if the loan is for the auto, the seller has to come up there with me, sign the title and then the bank hands them the cheque. They won't cut a cheque for a collateral based loan without seeing and verifying collateral.

TrevorR90

Banned
The guy most likely had a loan for the vehicle. I just did this with my car. The bank gave me a check that was payable to the owner that I was buying the car from. They will not wire and only a check is given.

MNCobra

Established Member
with hearing/reading of all the people who get robbed during some transaction in a CL deal not sure i would want to go to a buy with 14k in my pocket...my credit union doesnt wire either...but if you felt it was a bad deal and went with your instincts then cant go wrong

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
The guy lives 70 miles from me. I'm not willing to go there to watch his bank transaction - the sale isn't that important to me. His bank doesn't have a branch here and he wouldn't make two trips.

Could've been legit but too much trouble and worry to bother. Besides, this is a really nice road-tripper. If I don't sell it, no big deal.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
why not meet at your bank and make sure the check deposits? pretty straight forward

a bank check is different from a personal. it means the loan/account has the available funds, its as good as cash.
Yeah, the only way i have ever accepted cashiers checks is too call the bank to verify. Good point tho :beer:

The money may be there, but it still could be a bogus check copied from the one good one, which the scammer returns so as to withdraw the money.

Even a fake certified check can be deposited and take a few days to show up as bogus.

Bank checks can be faked. They can route them all over and can take up to 2 weeks before the bank finds out its no good. You did the right thing. Don't trust bank/cashiers checks unless your with them when they get the check from their bank.
QFT - but it can take at least two weeks.

A wire is the ONLY to absolutely guarantee that you will get the money..

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
I don't think i'd give out a check and just go home and wait. Once it clears, money's gone. No one here has put themselves in the buyer's shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread