A questions for LEO's

GRUSE

Established Member
Hello officers.
At what point during a V&T stop or any other official interaction,should a person identify themselves as currently on parole,probation or some other form of supervised release?
Thank you for your service to our community's and be safe out there.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Hello officers.
At what point during a V&T stop or any other official interaction,should a person identify themselves as currently on parole,probation or some other form of supervised release?
Thank you for your service to our community's and be safe out there.

I have had multiple people in VA tell me that when they give me their O/L and registration. Here, I don't think there is a requirement to notify LEO of that though. Most do it because they know any type of infraction will screw up the probation/parole.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
In Nevada, it is usually a condition of parole/probation, that the individual notify law enforcement when stopped, of their status. Failure to do so would then be a violation and could result in a quick trip back to jail/prison.

mustanginky

Established Member
Here in kentucky, they do not have to notify. It may be a requirement of state law or probation/parole conditions. Here in ky a person supervised MUST notify their probation officer of comtact with a leo within 72 hours.

GRUSE

Established Member
Thanks Officers for the info.Just to clarify it's federal probation if that would make a difference.
The question was asked mostly as a CYA,in case I'm involved in a fender bender or witness something similar and have to make a statement.
Rules of the road are vigorously obeyed as an effort on my part to avoid contact and possibly being violated.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Thanks Officers for the info.Just to clarify it's federal probation if that would make a difference.
The question was asked mostly as a CYA,in case I'm involved in a fender bender or witness something similar and have to make a statement.
Rules of the road are vigorously obeyed as an effort on my part to avoid contact and possibly being violated.

Read over the conditions of your probation and see if notification is a requirement.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
It is one of the first things I ask, sometimes I phrase it as a joke to soften the offense some people take from it; but I have been surprised by the positive answers from some. It just reminds me to never judge a book by its cover.

Quite often the information is volunteered before I ask, as the people really trying to break away will want you to know right away as a sign they weren't doing anything other than the violation they were stopped for, or circumstances that lead to their detention.

Users who are viewing this thread