A question my GF would like feedback on about our relationship....

DJAMiller

Established Member
If she's at the point where she's been with you a year and living with you and shes entertaining the idea of throwing it all away over something so petty then she needs to hit the old dusty trail. If you don't do it now she's going to do it the next time something comes up

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
You aren't sticking up for her, your sticking up for yourself. Your ex-wife was a huge part of your life, and your gf talking shit about her "style" or whatever constantly is also indirectly attacking you.

Why is it you are over your ex-wife, but she isn't? Your ex-wife was a huge part of your life, and there is no getting around that. You have lots of stories and things that included her, and your GF has to be ok with that. Sounds like she isn't.

My wife has been a huge part of my life for 12-13 years now. We were great friends before we sstarted dating. If we ever split up for some reason, i'd probably have a problem with someone talking shit about her every day.

Some criticism is ok, but constant is unacceptable imho. How can your relationship be happy when its constant negatives about your previous relationship?

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I told my current girlfriend not to talk shit about my ex wife (no kids involved). Am I sticking up for my ex wife?
Unless you're doing something dumb like accidently addressing your girlfriend by your ex-wife's name, I'd say your girlfriend is better off not speaking about your ex at all. Do you ever talk about her ex? If so, stop.

Coiled03

Established Member
Sounds like you're being an adult about the situation, and she's acting like she's still in high school.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the replies. She really is a great girl all around although it seems there are trust issues lingering from late last year and earlier this year with the texts from girls as I mentioned in the last page. I never intended on cheating or hurting her at that time and told anyone that had signs of being interested in me that I'm off the market. It was down to a couple girls I knew for a 15+ years that I had causal conversations with. I ended those.

Our ex's only got brought up if the conversation is humane and she/I asked questions about them. I gave honest responses and so did she. I saw no issues with this although I won't do it anymore after this.

In response to how often she mentions the ex, it's not often. Probably once every couple months at most. It gets brought up when she finds things around the house she figures weren't from my Father's Estate or something I picked out. Most of the time I brush it off. I happened to make a comment when she said the candle holders were probably cheap because it was probably from my wedding (I told her at the time that she asked about them and we donated it that it's likely a leftover from her or the wedding instead of being my Father's. I didn't know for sure which is why I just left them on the table and eventually said yeah lets donate it, I have no attachment to them). I asked her on what basis she could make such a statement and she should have just said that she wants to get new ones for us because she wants everything to be about us if it bothered her. Saying it was probably cheap because it could have been hers makes no sense and was a stab at her and me too. She finally apologized this morning for saying that but is 100% stuck on me "defending" my ex and she won't change her mind on that.

This seems to be a case of a buildup inside of lingering trust issues from previous relationships and ours that is a ticking time bomb at any moment's notice. I have tried to remove any doubt but it instantly gets erased when something like this rears its head. It's to the point where I agrees to her request to look through my phone's email and messages and when she didn't find anything, she said I could have deleted them. I didn't delete anything and when she said that I mentioned if she's that stuck with severe trust issues that there is always doubt even if I prove her tests of trust, that's her problem and not mine and the relationship is toast.

It's becoming a drain on me at this point... and it sucks to throw it away because of this issue I never saw coming. She has a lot of potential but also has trust issues that are hard to overcome. I didn't know she had this in her. Live and learn I suppose.

Last edited:

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
tell her to grow up and act her age! just imagine the shit she will talk about you after your finished dealing with her BS!!!

I told my current girlfriend not to talk shit about my ex wife (no kids involved). Am I sticking up for my ex wife?

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
nope no assuption here.... been there before with the same type of chic.

some ppl jus wanna run their mouth about anything and everything and rarely have anything good to say about anyone and talking shit about someones EX is childish and immature so yea she needs to grow up!

I think we're making assumptions here.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
nope no assuption here.... been there before with the same type of chic.

some ppl jus wanna run their mouth about anything and everything and rarely have anything good to say about anyone and talking shit about someones EX is childish and immature so yea she needs to grow up!

The assumption was the GF isn't 12.

4stang6

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. The back story is me and my ex wife were together for 10 years total, married for the last 3. Divorce was settled Aug. 2015. We had a rough last final years that ended after a year of counseling (All through 2014) and her maintaining a side relationship with one of her coworkers (I knew about this at the time, it was all laid out in counseling and we were still supposed to try to heal our relationship since she claimed depression. This was part of her healing.) After 6 months she stopped going to counseling as she didn't like how it was going (I kept going) and I slowly went into a depressive mental state in December 2014. That is when I decided divorce was my only option and to go back with her would unfair to myself. We filed together at the court Feb 2015 with not too much conflict. The divorce should have taken 90 days, although a whirlwind of events extended it to 7 months. She held on, I still let go. She took her sweet ass time moving out of my house (I purchased by myself years prior to the marriage) and I needed to get out of the house and meet people. It was a total nightmare and she held on so strongly still she began taking (and abusing 3 times) bipolar/depression pills and never accepting the divorce. The process of getting everything transferred to her and completely split and away from the house was a disaster. She scared a few girls away from me by coming back to the house or getting their phone numbers after gaining access to my phone or email.

The sporatic messages, emails, and phone calls didn't really stop until a few months ago (she went through waves of trying to contact me again) and she never changed her address so her mail still comes here. That's been a slow process too but it's manageable. I have every number and email of hers blocked but there is no guarantee she can't get another and try to contact me. I just block those too if they come in and don't respond. Typically the voice mails in 2016 were "Hey its me, could you give me a call when you get a chance. Thanks".

My feelings... I stopped wanting a relationship with her when I filed. I honestly felt bad for her which is why I put up trying to work it out even if she was depressed and dating someone else. I didn't have the nuts to end it many times and leave her be in life but depression came on strong to me and that's when I knew it was over. My ex wife treated me like total trash looking back on all of it and every once in a while she will come up in a conversation with my current girlfriend, whether it be a short story or question she has. She has mentioned the same with her exes too which I'm okay with. My GF moved into my house early this year. I have gutted and replaced a lot of things in the house before, during, and after she moved in. She sometimes brings up things about my ex such as her style (house decorations and paint colors when we first met) or that she was cheap. What provoked this thread was yesterday she looked up some candle holders online for the house. I laughed and said we probably tossed out that identical set. She said, "weren't they from your wedding? They were probably cheap". Now this isn't the first time she's taken a stab at my ex and I usually brush it off but I apparently got under her skin when I asked why she thinks they were cheap because they were from my wedding or from her? That led to hours of back and forth on this and other events and she believes I'm sticking up for my ex wife while I believe I'm just getting her story straight and true. She is 99% ready to break up with me now after a year of being together over this saying how I am sticking up for her. I simply told her to respect my wishes and #1 Not bring her up anymore and #2 Not trash talk her. If she wants to ask questions about her and learn and speak the truth I'm okay with that. But to make some bold claims with no backing, I don't agree with it and it bothers me that it's not a true statement. She takes this 100% as I still have feelings for her and she is ready to jump ship and move out as she does not understand how I can care that much about her making a a comment about my ex.

Back story on current gf relationship is we had some trouble early on when I was coming out of the dating scene (and not long before a marriage) with girls texting me. The trouble ones were the ones I've known for 10 - 20 years but I did get those to stop last year. I believe this is now all being considered in her decision to want to leave now.

If it matters, I just turned 32 and she is 29.

Thoughts?

To me it does sound like you are taking up for her, Which in my opinion is almost normal, Only because you were together soooo long.
My brother went through a similar situation , Only there is kids involved.
His ex wife really abused pills, weed, alcohol to the point it made permanent damage we believe.... Mentally , anyhow they've been separated for about 3 years now, and till this day she gives him the shit end of the stick, kind of trying to stab him every chance she gets. After they divorced she would intentionally try and ruin his new relationships and succeeded a lot.
he cared so much for her to the point like he was in your shoes...
FINALLY after 3 yrs, He found a girl to make him more mature about the situation of his ex that it made him realize that he shouldn't care for her no more and now he does not at all take up for her, He realizes the type of person she is, and all is good now.

It sounds normal , But within time it'll go away.
And your newer girl needs to realize that 10 years plus marriage isn't a 1 year relationship.... It takes time for some of us guys to detach and move on....

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Sounds like you traded one problem for another OP. This circle of depression you're in is not good for your health. If you're new girl can't handle this situation like an adult then let her go.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
My wife and I argue about when the pasta is finished cooking. She likes it more al dente and I prefer it just ever so slightly over cooked. We have come to blows over this issue.

LOL. My exwife was a loon. Lasted all of year. Every now and then she'll send me a feeler if I want to be friends..(linkedin/facebook). **** that nonsense. There is a reason we aren't together. So I wouldn't take up for her.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
LOL. My exwife was a loon. Lasted all of year. Every now and then she'll send me a feeler if I want to be friends..(linkedin/facebook). **** that nonsense. There is a reason we aren't together. So I wouldn't take up for her.

Sounds like shes desperate.

Cliffs are in my OP. The rest are the details for those daring enough to delve into the relationship.

I don't want to post pics in this thread although she is a 10/10. Beauty doesn't make up for situations like this though!

Now you have to post pics, or ban. Knowingly posting untrue information on the forum is a ban-able offense. Right @03cobra#694 ?

Users who are viewing this thread