A present for Mr. Snover

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
I found a wonderful AMA (Ask Me Anything) gem on Reddit:

qOYieDH.jpg

Who am I (ret) Col. Richard Graham here! I flew the SR-71 for about seven years (1974-1981), but flew multiple other aircraft serving in Vietnam, and was the squadron commander of the SR-71 wing. I have written four books on the SR-71, and am currently working on my fifth all about the SR-71 and related information. You can also look up multiple videos of me on the internet being interviewed about the plane. I have worked across the globe and am here to answer any of your questions about my career, the SR-71, or anything else that crosses your mind!

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2k06jn/iama_former_sr71_pilot_and_squadron_commander_ama/

There isnt any new information that is particularly groundbreaking but it is still interesting nonetheless.

Also of note, apparently Buzz Aldrin will be doing an AMA on October 30th 10 A.M. eastern. Mark your calendars!

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you, I appreciate the info! I've been reading up on this the last several days!

svtshadow

Banned
Any reasons why they dont fly those planes any more? I would think ISIS would surrender upon the sighting of that pure American Awesomeness!

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, there are many reasons why the program saw its end. The Blackbird was a very expensive bird to fly, and she required a huge level of support from other aircraft, just to fly. One Blackbird in the air usually meant there were two tankers that also had to be kept in the air for the duration of the mission. Super-specialized training, maintenance support requirements, everything about the Blackbird was expensive. As satellites and drones have become more and more capable, they just didn't need the Blackbird, with its enormous cost, anymore. And I say that as a diehard fan of the plane who wishes they were still flying just because of its super awesomeness.

Any reasons why they dont fly those planes any more? I would think ISIS would surrender upon the sighting of that pure American Awesomeness!

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
It's just one of those planes you hated to see mothballed. As James said, it's not practical anymore, but if you needed to get somewhere in a hurry and get the job done ASAP, she was you're girl. She was impressive sitting still and just down right nasty in the air. It goes to show you what can be built and engineered when you leave red tape out of it.

B0B

Established Member
Thats pretty awesome. At first, I though the OP was Col Graham. My dad's best friend in high school was Don Heckert. He was a squadron commander for the SR-71 program at Beale. My dad was a corporate pilot, flying small jets around north america, Cessna Citation II. Don invited my dad to California to go fly an SR-71 with him, but my dad never got the chance and he says to this day it is one of his biggest regrets not being able to go.

Users who are viewing this thread