A-PLAN X-PLAN ?

my03svtcobra

Established Member
WHATS UP WHITH THIS A/X STUFF I DO NOT GET IT WHAT ARE YOU ALL TALKING ABOUT
???? DID I MAYBE GET THE F-ME PLAN???????
SD:cuss:

Cat Breath

Established Member
xplan here

Hiya dude. Xplan is offered by Ford to people who work for companies (and some non companies) that supply Ford Motor Co. with parts & equipment. As an employee of IBM, I can get in on the xplan (as well as GM & Nissans partner recognition programs) and have a 03 cobra on order under Xplan :) . The Xplan allows you to purchase the vehicle at invoice plus 4% I believe. Which on the 03 Cobra should be a savings slightly over $2K compared to MSRP. I'm not to sure about the other plans, though I belive the A-plan is for direct Ford employees and their good friends and nets you the vehicle at invoice. From what I've heard, the only vehicle Ford is not allowing to be sold under plan atm, is the Tbird. As for getting an SVT vehicle under plan, you just have to find a dealer that is willing to sell at MSRP. Ford MoCo rebates the dealerships the discount, so to them it is same as selling at MSRP. The only reason a dealer has for not selling an SVT on plan is because they want to make more than the MSRP profit.

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
If you're paying more than about $2,500 over MSRP, you're supporting an evil, that should be eliminated. Some argue ANYTHING over MSRP is a sin. I'll buy the small luxury tax (<$2,500) for the first run of the "Terminator", but those paying $5,000 - $10,000 should be "spoken to"...

Originally posted by my03svtcobra
WHATS UP WHITH THIS A/X STUFF I DO NOT GET IT WHAT ARE YOU ALL TALKING ABOUT
???? DID I MAYBE GET THE F-ME PLAN???????
SD:cuss:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Re: xplan here

Originally posted by Cat Breath
Hiya dude. Xplan is offered by Ford to people who work for companies (and some non companies) that supply Ford Motor Co. with parts & equipment. As an employee of IBM, I can get in on the xplan (as well as GM & Nissans partner recognition programs) and have a 03 cobra on order under Xplan :) . The Xplan allows you to purchase the vehicle at invoice plus 4% I believe. Which on the 03 Cobra should be a savings slightly over $2K compared to MSRP. I'm not to sure about the other plans, though I belive the A-plan is for direct Ford employees and their good friends and nets you the vehicle at invoice. From what I've heard, the only vehicle Ford is not allowing to be sold under plan atm, is the Tbird. As for getting an SVT vehicle under plan, you just have to find a dealer that is willing to sell at MSRP. Ford MoCo rebates the dealerships the discount, so to them it is same as selling at MSRP. The only reason a dealer has for not selling an SVT on plan is because they want to make more than the MSRP profit.

OK, if this is true, then can any dealers that are members of this forum explain why my dealer wouldn't honor the X-plan, but would give me MSRP? If it were true that Ford rebated the difference between the X-plan price and MSRP, then there'ld be no reason not to honor it. So from my experience, I'ld have to conclude that Ford does NOT make up the difference between X-plan and MSRP.
:??:

Cat Breath

Established Member
Re: Re: xplan here

Originally posted by Black2001Cobra

OK, if this is true, then can any dealers that are members of this forum explain why my dealer wouldn't honor the X-plan, but would give me MSRP? If it were true that Ford rebated the difference between the X-plan price and MSRP, then there'ld be no reason not to honor it. So from my experience, I'ld have to conclude that Ford does NOT make up the difference between X-plan and MSRP.
:??:

That's a good question. I could guestimate a bunch of minor reasons why they might not (don't do many plans and don't want to research how it's done, don't want to wait many weeks for the rebate check,...), although these are lame reasons, they will have no problem selling the cars out at MSRP regardless. The best way to find out is to simply ask them. Maybe there is a valid reason for it that is dealer specific. Tell them that you know other people are buying the car on plan and that you know they make the same amount of money either way. I'd like to hear their reason as well. You can always keep searching for a dealer that will sell on plan, worth it even to travel out of state IMO. Good luck.

Cat Breath

Established Member
shop around

Originally posted by my03svtcobra
OK THAT MEANS 3000GS IS OK ?I DO NOT WANA GET JAMMED
SD

I'm assuming that you preordered an 03 cobra at MSRP +$3K and want to know if you got screwed? Well, how many dealerships did you call trying to get the lowest price? I called close to 20. I'd bet if you called all the dealerships in your state and all the dealerships in the adjoing states to yours if needed that you would find at least one dealership that will sell at MSRP. If you already did that and came up with +$3K as the best deal, then that's what you have to pay to get in on the first allotment. If you feel bad about it, think about the 2000R cobra buyers who paid $60k for a slower car than the one you're getting. I feel for em.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: xplan here

That's a good question. I could guestimate a bunch of minor reasons why they might not (don't do many plans and don't want to research how it's done, don't want to wait many weeks for the rebate check,...), although these are lame reasons, they will have no problem selling the cars out at MSRP regardless. The best way to find out is to simply ask them. Maybe there is a valid reason for it that is dealer specific. Tell them that you know other people are buying the car on plan and that you know they make the same amount of money either way. I'd like to hear their reason as well. You can always keep searching for a dealer that will sell on plan, worth it even to travel out of state IMO. Good luck.

Thanks CatBreath - I'll ask my dealer about it and see what he has to say. They are familiar with the plan so there must be some reason they don't want to use it. It just seems confusing to me. Seems from what you've said it costs them nothing, but costs me $2000. There's gotta be a catch.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Re: shop around

If you feel bad about it, think about the 2000R cobra buyers who paid $60k for a slower car than the one you're getting. I feel for em.

:shrug: I keep hearing stories of 60-70g prices paid for R's, but so far havn't met those people?

Wana hit the road course and with us "slower" R's?;-)

This is meant in fun, so please don't anyone take it serious.

haskett

Established Member
I tried ordering an 03 Cobra under the x-plan, with no luck in the Houston area.:mj: Judging by experiences of others posted on other boards, anyone who has convinced a dealer to honor x-plan on an 03 Cobra should consider themselves extremely lucky.

Put yourself in the dealer's shoes. If they believe that they can move these cars at MSRP+ without any effort at all, why would they honor x-plan ? For the dealerships that I talked to, I made sure that they understood that they were losing out in my parts/service/body business, which they didn't seem to care about.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
My Firm just put out an email that we are eligible for Xplan. I must be living right. Called my dealer and laid all the codes on him. (left voicemail) I hope he's agreeable to xplan. I have my build date and vin. We'll see what the response is.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I questioned my dealer as to the validity of there being no difference between selling on X-plan versus at MSRP. He told me that Ford does NOT make up the difference. (There is a Ford credit to the dealer, but it is small by comparison.) So that's why your dealers will not be inclined to honor the X-plan. If they can sell at MSRP (or above), they make out better. So, those who did get X (or A) plan, can indeed consider themselves very lucky. I guess I'ld have to conclude that if you got MSRP, you did just fine, in my opinion.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Dealer just called, The General Manager. Good guy, basically said he no to Xplan. I mentioned that i had heard of others getting xplan on the internet. He is selling me the car at MSRP. We haggled and he dropped a Grand. I'm happy and he'll make some cash. Just want my vert!

Cat Breath

Established Member
Uh oh

Damn sorry guys. It seems I was giving out the incorrect info I was given, most of which was from the web in posts like this, and some from sales people themselves. After contacting 2 dealers just now to pose this question, it seems that Ford does not make up the diff in price compared to MSRP. :( If they sell you the 03 Cobra on plan, they are taking a hit to make a life long customer and you are fortunate. Although, had I known this, I probably would have settled for MSRP+$ instead of calling 20+ dealers. :burnout: Still, this car at MSRP is rare in CO & CA with many people shelling out MSRP+$5K. I consider myself very fortunate now, and as a penance, will dump at least $2K in mods into the car before I hit 500 miles. :beer:

svt-tmleader

Established Member
One thing to consider. Dealers pay a fee to Ford for the privelige of being a SVT dealer. This fee consists of a flat amount (many thousands) and a percentage for EVERY SVT vehicle sold. The commissions that are paid by Ford are very small in comparison to what could be. I don't agree with the dealers that mark these (and Tbirds) up as much as $10k, but if someone is willing(stupid enough) to pay, they will continue to go after those big gross deals. You all have the power to say no.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Dealers that pay the SVT price, is like Budwiser advertising @ halftime on the Superbowl... They expect return for the $$$ they shell out, and they get it too.

I buy a new car every year on average. My dealer knows, that if they want to keep my business, they need to keep my happy. I'm the customer and I'm always right, and you can bet your ass that if they don't want to perform, they will not get a cent from me...

Users who are viewing this thread