A new toy, and accounting for insurance

Vizior

Established Member
It's been a long time since I posted here last, and have since moved to TN and am finally finishing a degree (a double major in Chemistry and Math... who knows what someone can do with that!). Anyways, I got rid of all my toys, and got a 2013 Silverado 2500 Diesel. Now I'm starting to get the itch for a fast car, again, and am pretty well narrowed to an 99-04 GT (or cobra) or an EVO XIII. I'm looking to keep the price around 15k or less.

I had an Evo IX at one point, and surprisingly enjoyed it, despite the whole Fast and Furious mindset. I compared it to driving a giant go-kart. The thing that sets me from getting another Evo is the insurance. My premiums will increase $90 for 6 months for the GT, but $550 for the Evo. I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done to off-set this?

Thanks!

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Cook meth with that fancy chem degree. lol

I was in the same boat, I was looking at EVO's and STI's and the insurance rates are ridiculous.

Vizior

Established Member
Cook meth with that fancy chem degree. lol

I was in the same boat, I was looking at EVO's and STI's and the insurance rates are ridiculous.

LOL. After Breaking Bad I feel like that's the most sought after use of a Chem Degree. I'm really considering Medical School, I've been a paramedic for about 6 years, and have military experience to help boost my application, just deciding if I'm too old or not. Plus, I really enjoy the upper level Chemistry electives.

But the insurance is outrageous, I went as far as to consider a new STi hatch. An auto loan is never a good fiscal decision, but I make sure it doesn't offset me too far, but I have a hard time dumping an extra $1000+ a year for insurance. I could get a 99 cobra and pay less than $250/year in insurance.

Vizior

Established Member
Whats the Evo XIII have in it?!?!

LOL. I don't know much about insurance premiums and how they are determined at all, but I'm going on the assumption that with the popularity of imports and the street racing scene, that they have to be way up on the list of most commonly stolen and most commonly crashed vehicles.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
I pay $300 with Grundy insurance a year but the cobra is not my daily. My beater is a 2010 jeep patriot

Vizior

Established Member
I pay $300 with Grundy insurance a year but the cobra is not my daily. My beater is a 2010 jeep patriot

I'm leaving my primary vehicle as my Silverado. Just curious if there are any other tips to drop the insurance. I would enjoy the Evo, but don't want to drop a fortune on insurance.

10splaya22

Established Member
I was paying about 120 a month for full coverage on my 06 Sti, wasn't much more than other cars I've had. I have USAA

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
It's not on your list, but a C5 Corvette could be had for the budget you've set. Insurance is cheap too! My '01 Z06 cost less to insure than my '03 GT does.

jblood37

Established Member
By a crappy beater and use that as your primary. Make the toy a leisure vehicle. I think I pay $30/month for my cobra.

Vizior

Established Member
I'm not sure GEICO allows vehicles to be registered as leisure vehicles?

I found a 99 Cobra I like, with about 90k miles and light mods for $9000. I'm still just amazed about the difference in insurance premiums. I'm hoping that a 90k mile motor will last a few years.

king nothing

Established Member
Have you tried searching for a new insurance company? Im about to start looking. Was very happy with State Farm until my son turned 16. Insurance almost doubled adding him and his car. Went from 190/mo for Full coverage on my 06 ram, my wifes 11 edge, AND homeowners to 360 just adding him and his 01 Infiniti (inherited from his great-grandfather)

Users who are viewing this thread