A little help guys

vols fan

Established Member
Hey guys. I have a Mach 1 right now but as of Saturday it want be mine anymore. I really want a 03/04 Cobra but I'm not sure I can swing that at this time. I know I could get one with 80k+ miles for 15k-17k but I don't like buying high milage cars, esp ones that are drove hard as Cobras are bound to be. I've been doing some looking and have found some low milage 96-98 and 99/01 Cobras in my area for 10k-14k. I would like to have a vert and I would also like to add a blower and be able to make 450+ rwhp. Which Cobra do you guys think is the better platform? Is one motor better than the other? I know the 99/01 made more factory hp but are the internals different between the two? I love the body lines of both cars so I'd be happy buying either. I'm just asking about performance. As far as blowers go for these cars which would be better a KB or a Vortech/Procharger setup? I'm not exactly up to date on the mod motor world so if I'm way off on this someone please tell me. If anyone has a setup like I'm talking about please post up the pros on cons of the setup. Thanks guys.

Head4ThaHillz

So What....It's a Six
Established Member
Hey man, I'd keep the Mach if at all possible. I've seen a KB Mach down here at mustang week on 31 roast a cobra. Wiether the cobra was factory or not..I donno.. But if your going to get a Cobra the 01's are nice. I'm not sure if they have a forged bottom end like the 03-04' or not. But I agree a high miled Termi has probably been drove really hard. It's sad that it's that way but...what can you do lol..Why I own two v6's I guess..lol...which ones in the process of a 5.4 swap...theres 100 routes to go with mustangs bro...goodluck....

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Keep your Mach 1. It has the same motor as a 99/01 Cobra but it has a solid axle rear end instead of the IRS. Mach 1's supposedly make less hp from the factory but a little more torque making them equal performers to the 99/01 Cobras. Engine internals are the same.

As far as the supercharger, KB's will be more expensive but will give you better bottom end response while the Vortech/Procharger will be slightly less expensive and give you better top end.

If you must sell the Mach, the 96-98 and 99/01 engines have slightly different intakes, cams and heads. Engine internals are the same, good crank with crappy rods and pistons. I am partial to the 99/01 but then again that's what I have. Good luck

vols fan

Established Member
Well I did sale the Mach today. I had to for what the guy gave me I'd have been crazy not to. I guess I'll start hunting for my next toy. I think I'm going to spend alittle more and get an 03/04 Cobra. If I find a nice older Cobra with internal engine work I'd take a serious look at it.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
Keep your Mach 1. It has the same motor as a 99/01 Cobra but it has a solid axle rear end instead of the IRS. Mach 1's supposedly make less hp from the factory but a little more torque making them equal performers to the 99/01 Cobras. Engine internals are the same.

As far as the supercharger, KB's will be more expensive but will give you better bottom end response while the Vortech/Procharger will be slightly less expensive and give you better top end.

If you must sell the Mach, the 96-98 and 99/01 engines have slightly different intakes, cams and heads. Engine internals are the same, good crank with crappy rods and pistons. I am partial to the 99/01 but then again that's what I have. Good luck

Different Cam profiles (Intake/Exhaust)

Users who are viewing this thread