A lighter SVT car with F-150 Aluminum Frame Technology

68Fastback302

With all the knowledge Ford has with the all-aluminum framed F150, when a Shelby Enthusiast looks into spending at least a $20,000 premium on a GT350 or whatever name SVT uses, it would be nice if they incorporate some of those light parts in the SVT car and remove 200 to 300 lbs. or more of weight from the car so it is more in line with other newer lighter cars. I bought new and have owned a 1990 SHO Taurus, and 3 SVT vehicles inclusive of my current 2012 GT500 that I love as it reminds me of my 1968 Mustang. I have also owed a 1966 Convertible Mustang, 1968 Fastback Mustang.

Last edited:

WolfPackST

Banned
With all the knowledge Ford has with the all-aluminum framed F150, when a Shelby Enthusiast looks into spending at least a $20,000 premium on a GT350 or whatever name SVT uses, it would be nice if they incorporate some of those light parts in the SVT car and remove 200 to 300 lbs. or more of weight from the car so it is more in line with other newer lighter cars. I bought new and have owned a 1990 SHO Taurus, and 3 SVT vehicles inclusive of my current 2012 GT500 that I love as it reminds me of my 1968 Mustang. I have also owed a 1966 Convertible Mustang, 1968 Fastback Mustang.

http://horsepowerkings.com/is-ford-...num-bodied-true-svt-cobra-successor-for-2017/

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The F-150 does NOT have an aluminum frame, it's an aluminum body on a steel frame. Completely different.

To make a unique unibody for an SVT car from aluminum would mean redesigning the entire car. Aluminum behaves differently from steel, so it won't perform the same in crash tests or performance tests without a heavy redesign.

It is possible the next SVT variant will get aluminum doors and rear fenders, but that's about all that's left without going overboard on development costs. Also, aluminum doors and rear quarter panels could actually hurt weight distribution and upset the car's balance.

SVT will make a fast car that people can afford. Mustang won't see an aluminum unibody until the 7th gen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread