A guide to Borg Warner and Bullseye Power turbos

crashtke

Established Member
They are kind of new to the scene, so I thought I would write a little guide to them. For those that are unfamiliar, they are taking the performance world by storm. The technology on the turbochargers is pretty revolutionary and has companies like Garret finally redesigning their turbos just to try to keep up.

Borg Warner has been around forever and makes tons of OEM turbos. What is new is their extended tip technology that allows the turbos to build boost faster and make more power than previous turbos. These turbos are efficient to VERY high pressure ratios which is exactly what we need for in order to make good power.

Bullseye Power is a company that took these turbos a step further and started making "hybrid" turbos that were even more suitable to smaller displacement motors by offering smaller turbine wheels and housings by combining various Borg Warner/Airwerks (Airwerks is Borg Warner's performance division) components into new combinations. Bullseye also makes some of their own turbine housings and some of their own billet compressor wheels.

So some of the turbos and what they equate to in Garret language, lol.

-S200SX or S256 turbo: Equivalent to a GT3071-3076R turbo, these are smaller extended tip turbos good for around 500-550 max. The S200SX comes with a T-3 divided flange on the turbine. Bullseye went a step further and added the .70 AR single scroll and the .55 AR stainless steel housing as well as the DSM housing

-S259: only available from Bullseye, this is a slightly larger version of the S200SX that has an upgraded 59mm compressor wheel. Good for around 600 under ideal conditions, this is a pretty fast spooling turbo that is just a hair smaller than a GT35R. Bullseye also makes a Billet wheel upgrade for this turbo.

-S362: This turbo is very close in size to a GT35R. Good for 550-700 hp depending on turbine options, it spools up VERY quickly for such a large turbo and makes good power. Stepping up the the S300 series of Borg Warner turbos, the compressor housing is quite a bit larger. This turbo also is made by Bullseye only. On a 2.5 liter motor I was able to get 25psi by 4400 rpms. Available in T3 and T4 turbine housings.

-S364: Also a Bullseye only turbo, this turbo is a step larger than the S362 and has a 64mm extended tip compressor wheel. This turbo has a max power rating of 750hp. Spool is slightly slower than the S362, but better power and less lag than the S366. This turbo is larger than a GT35R. I would equate this to a 37R.

-S366/300SX: Available from Borgwarner, this turbo has a large 66mm compressor wheel and a t4 housing with a 79mm turbine wheel. Bullseye has a couple different variations of this turbo with smaller turbine wheels to aid in quicker spool up for smaller displacement motors. This is the turbo I am putting on my personal car, a 2.5 liter built motor WRX. This turbo is capable of 750-800 hp if completely maxed out and is equivalent to the Garret GT4088R.

Bullseye and Borg Warner also makes larger turbos all the way up to 1800 hp, but I figured this list would give a good starting point for most people on this forum

crashtke

Established Member
Actually the one we are putting on a 03 cobra is the new S383 billet wheel that Bullseye just came out with. It is capable of around 1300hp.

Roll Race Rob

Established Member
ive run the s380 for a little over a year now and love it.
dont let master power guys or blower guys know how nice of a turbo they are though they all call bullshit haha.

crashtke

Established Member
We have put a couple S256's in WRX's and Sti's with good results. Usually around 400 at the wheels on 22 psi on stock motors and pump gas. Good little turbos for 4 cylinders.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Yeah BW has been awesome in providing excellent turbochargers at a very excellent price. 5 years ago you couldnt touch a turbo that could pump out enough airflow to put you in the 400whp range for under $1500, now you can get that ****er for $799. 5 years ago you could barely get a MHI 16g for that price too!

crashtke

Established Member
Some new Billet wheel goodness from Bullseye:

S259Billet.jpg

259Billet.jpg

Digital

Established Member
I have a ST78 with a upgraded lightened wheel and the thing is pure sex. Best turbo ever IMO.

Sammyboy

Established Member
Hook a brotha up? SVTP discounts for all....

I might be able to work something out.

As far as the CNC'd titanium wheels are concerned, we mainly use them for constant flow apps, such as big rigs where they are in a specific rpm range for a long time.

In comparison, our CNC'd aluminum wheels are awesome, less rotating mass means instantaneous spooling......plus they look amazing.....

needless to say, I have several on my desk. (they are high dollar)

Users who are viewing this thread