A Great how-to video on gear swap, or rebuilding 8.8 Ford rear axle

shelbygt

Established Member
Well after hearing people saying not to tackle doing a gear swap or rebuild, that it is too difficult, I found this dvd and bought it. http://www.badshoeproductions.com/
This video is very detailed and high quality, giving a step by step guide from start to finish. I would highly recommend anyone with mechanical skills and the desire to learn, to buy this and take the money you would have given away for a shop to do the work and spend it on new mods.

I will add, you MUST buy or borrow the following, a dial indicator w/magnetic base, an INCH lb torque wrench, a dial caliper, a breaker bar with cheater pipe and if you can, a pinion depth tool (I wish I had one), but it is not 100% required, but it will save time. I found that doing the axle rebuild is not hard to do, but takes a lot of trial and error time getting the shims correct. And be careful when crushing the pinion crush sleeve, as I found out it is very easy to go past the 18-29 ft lbs of pre-load and force you to run to the dealer for a new one at 10.00 a pop.
Good luck,
Dave

Last edited:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Setting up gears is really not that hard. I don't see why everyone is freaked out by it. The first time you do it, it might cost you as much or more than an install would cost you in tools, but you'll have those tools for a looong time. Rebuilding rears is fun too. :banana:

c9obr6a

Established Member
you can set your crush sleeve with a good air impact just take your time and bump the trigger once you get all the freeplay out. Also you don't need a pinion depth tool (it helps) but grind out your old inside pinion bearing so it slides on and off and you have a set of mock up bearings to set up with and check with compound. Another trick is to install your crosspin so its hitting the top of the axle case and turn the pinion yoke and your diff will pop out no fighting with prybars and hammers. Its not that bad to do but takes time.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Another trick is to install your crosspin so its hitting the top of the axle case and turn the pinion yoke and your diff will pop out no fighting with prybars and hammers.

That's a cool trick. Haven't heard that one. I'll have to try it sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread