a good wax for my black 04 cobra

svtcobra101

Established Member
ok guys,,need sum help other than the autozone or checkers types of waxes..
my cobra has water spots all over and alot of swirl marks in the paint..ive tried majority of the waxes ther at the part stores and they help but not like i want them too..id like for it to look like glass..everytime i wash it i use a new towel to dry it cuz id hate to see sum extra swirls on it,especially it being black,,tonight i tried the 3M performance finish and still the spots were ther,,ive stayed away frm power machines jus so i dnt burn the paint..any help is greatly appreciated..

u gotta be close to see the spots but i kno im not alone when it comes to being picky and or detailed..thxs

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Go here and start reading:

http://www.autopia.org/

They will teach you everything you need know about detailing a car to "better than new" condition, these folks are obsessive.

In short what you're gonna need is:

1). Wash and claybar
2). Polish w/ pro level products like Super Swirl Remover 2.5 ( SSR 2.5 ) or Wolfgang polish and dual action polisher like a Porter Cable
3). Use a quality sealant similar to above

According to the pros it's near impossible to damage the paint w/ the PC, it just simulates the "wax on, wax off" motion of your hand more efficiently. Also if you're using terry cloth towels ditch them for micro-fiber, you won't regret it!

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
ok guys,,need sum help other than the autozone or checkers types of waxes..
my cobra has water spots all over and alot of swirl marks in the paint..ive tried majority of the waxes ther at the part stores and they help but not like i want them too..id like for it to look like glass..everytime i wash it i use a new towel to dry it cuz id hate to see sum extra swirls on it,especially it being black,,tonight i tried the 3M performance finish and still the spots were ther,,ive stayed away frm power machines jus so i dnt burn the paint..any help is greatly appreciated..

u gotta be close to see the spots but i kno im not alone when it comes to being picky and or detailed..thxs

You need a porter cable, a fine cut compound and skill to achieve what you are looking for. Personally, I am currently using 3M compounds and polishes, and finishing with NXT 2.0

Also, you're spelling needs some work too but there's only so much a PC can do.

black 10th vert

Established Member
mine was pretty bad when I got it. It felt like paint overspray was all over it, when I tried to wax it! I picked up a claybar and gave it a shot, since I had never tried one, but heard great things about it. I was really impressed at how quick and easy it was to smooth the paint! I have a Dewalt power buffer, but wanted to avoid using it, because of the Haartz cloth top on my vert (didn't want to spatter the compound into the fabric). After claying it, then hitting it with the NXT 2.0, I never felt the need for the buffer, and now it looks perfect! The clay won't remove deeper scratches, though, so you may still need to "spot buff" - I did, but it was much easier than doing the whole car.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Read the autopia information.

Then get yourself some Swirl Remover (if you have a Random-orbital buffer or are willing to buy one), a claybar, Klasse All-In-One and some P21S carnuba wax.

Prepare the car with the clay bar and the swirl remover.

I've found that putting on a layer or two of the Klasse all in one polish and sealant gives a great shine and will last for a very long time. Then when you want to "show off" the car, hit it with a layer of the P21S carnuba -- it'll give it a depth of finish that''l blow you away. It only takes about 30-40 minutes to do the whole car with the P21S. (cause it doesn't have to dry.) Unfortunately, P21S doesn't last more than a couple of weeks if you drive the car alot, but the results are spectacular.

The NXT is Ok, but I like carnuba better because, to me anyway, NXT seems to be all shine and no depth.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
but there's only so much a PC can do.

Actually its more like "there is only so much a PC cant do". A PC in the right hands with the right products can go pretty dam far. the drawbacks to a PC is the time required, which is why most move up, to get the same results in half (or more) the time.

REX-RACER

Established Member
what do u recommend i use to dry my cobra instead of those micro-fiber towels? thxs

Yeah? MF towels are pretty much considered the standard of car detailers for their supper absorbency and lack of swirls. If there's something better I'd like to know?!

Btw, to the op, when you finally get the car done you must post pics! :banana:

Matt M PA

Established Member
I too use Zaino products.

They have a new water-based swirl remover/cleaner that works very well. You can use it with a PC or similar. Apply, and work in until dry. It uses a diminshing particulate that gets finer as it is brokwn down. Best of all, it's water based, so when you buff this off...there are no oils left behind that could hide swirls, etc.

Bear in mind that recent hard water spots can often be removed with white vinegar.

RoyWoods

Established Member

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Actually its more like "there is only so much a PC cant do". A PC in the right hands with the right products can go pretty dam far. the drawbacks to a PC is the time required, which is why most move up, to get the same results in half (or more) the time.

Right, but you introduce tremendous amounts of risk with the rotary. Even in skilled hands, you skip that thing or go to hard around a corner and good bye Clear Coat.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
BTW, IMHO, don't use micro-fiber towels.

Cotton towels are yesterday's technology, just like organic waxes. Its like the old guy that 'swears by his Turtle Wax, been usin the stuff fer 30 yeers, I don't need to try no fancy modern stuff!' DON'T BE AFRAID OF CHANGE PEOPLE!!!

Microfibers are superior to cotton in that they absorb more, pick up more polish, scratch less and are less prone to keep dirt at the surface provided you purchase the right ones (and there are plenty of good brands out there).

And regarding the article on microfibers, it isn't surprising that a dickhead like Sal Zaino would put that on his site, especially since he's pushing 'made in the usa' towels...all that means is you pay more to pay the jackoff union worker who assembled those towels. I mean isn't it common sense that if you buy a Hyundai you shouldn't expect the same quality as a BMW??? What's next, he starts selling Microfibers and cotton 'is a thing of the past??'

REX-RACER

Established Member
ok guys..i have narrowed it down to this kit:

http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/wolfgang-pc-kit.html
let me know wht u think? and i will deff post pics when im done!!

Yeah, looks like a good kit, probably can't go wrong w/ that set up. The only thing I'd say is order yourself some extra mf towels and extra assortment of polishing pads as you'll go through more of those than you think.

Also when you first get your equipment you may want to practice on some other vehicles to get a feel for the machine and how to work w/ the products. I practice up on the wife's or my parents cars before I take it to my baby! :-D

svtcobra101

Established Member
Also when you first get your equipment you may want to practice on some other vehicles to get a feel for the machine and how to work w/ the products. I practice up on the wife's or my parents cars before I take it to my baby! :-D[/QUOTE]

thats a good idea:) dad gots a black silverado,so i will try out his tailgate:)

grnenvy

Established Member
yo

I have tried alot of products on my blk cobra.
I would have to say Zaino all the way get Z5 fills the scratches and hides the swirls. It's also the easiest to use and won't turn the moldings white if you hit them. It won't get ride of the scratch's you would need to use something abrasive for that but if your finish is good Do what I said. Z also sells something to remove scratches if needed. Then I would use there mist spray after you wash the car for extra shine.
good luck

Users who are viewing this thread