A Good Laugh off Honda-Tech

Krwy

Established Member
The problem is that VWs use a 'lug bolt'. With that wheel there is 0 clearance inbetween the wheel and the lug. No way to get a socket slammed onto it. With the center of the lug bolt being stripped, no other options really. He said a shop put the wheels on, I'm sure the 'tech' just impacted them on without threading them by hand first. So the bolt was crossthreaded into the hub.

61mmstang94

Established Member
The problem is that VWs use a 'lug bolt'. With that wheel there is 0 clearance inbetween the wheel and the lug. No way to get a socket slammed onto it. With the center of the lug bolt being stripped, no other options really. He said a shop put the wheels on, I'm sure the 'tech' just impacted them on without threading them by hand first. So the bolt was crossthreaded into the hub.

Couldn't he just find a drill bit that could go through that lug and drill it out instead of cutting the wheel off?

I like this response that he got on that forum:
"This might be one of the dumbest things i've ever seen on here. You seriously got beat so bad by a lug bolt that you had to cut your wheel apart? Thats great."

Sap

Established Member
I've run into situations like that before and well, I don't think the solution he came to ever was on my list.

Probably 150 bucks for a new wheel and if the hub is cross threaded he'll have a great time putting a new stud in.

Nice job tire shop.

:dw:

Krwy

Established Member
Couldn't he just find a drill bit that could go through that lug and drill it out instead of cutting the wheel off?

I like this response that he got on that forum:
"This might be one of the dumbest things i've ever seen on here. You seriously got beat so bad by a lug bolt that you had to cut your wheel apart? Thats great."

He tried a titanium drill bit to drill out for an easy out. Drill bit broke, no other options.

Detroit_Doc

Established Member
Everyone's ragging on this guy but you need to read. This is some goofy vw setup. There is no clearance. He did try welding a nut on. I'm sure these were seriously cross threaded on by some dumb ass tire tech with a high quality impact wrench. This wasn't just a stripped bolt that's just going to spin right out with an easy-out.

I recently was doing brakes on my daily driver. I had new tires put on a few months ago. Those ass wipes cross threaded about 8 of my lugs on. My cheap impact wrench wouldn't even budge them. I had a 6 foot long breaker bar (pipe) on the lugs. I was praying to god that the studs would just break because my muscles were on fire pulling with all my weight on a 6 foot breaker bar for a 1/4 turn at a time.

Amazingly none of the studs broke so I got to enjoy every single turn. Then I still had to remove and pull new studs since they were so mangled from the cross threading.

If I ever caught the guy that did it, I'd beat him to death with his own impact wrench.

This is why I usually don't let grease monkey's touch my vehichles. No one gives a shit anymore.

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
hahahaha thats great. knowing vw's it probably was so corroded on there that it wouldnt come off no matter what lol you can only chisel so much

futureSVT

Established Member
now he has a good reason to tell the wife that he needs new wheels..

think i might go cut the eaton off... so i can get a KB.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread