A few welding questions

S/CCobra03

Established Member
I just purchased a Lincoln K2190 3200HD mig welder from Home Depot http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=7112

I think this is a good welder for what I will be using it for. I have a few questions though. When you are welding on a car like welding subframe connector or something. Is there anything special you must do to keep from frying the computer or some electrical stuff? Do you disconnect the battery or anything? As you can tell, I'm new to this so any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Disconnect the battery.. and weld a little bit and then spray it with water (spray bottle works well) so it won't melt things like carpet. Nice welder.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
I wouldn't spray it with water, but I would take my time making my welds. You don't want to melt through what you're welding. Take it easy and you'll be good. And yes, as stated before, disconnect your batter. Sometimes even if you're welding close to a computer you'd want to disconnect it.

Mustangmaniac

Established Member
I would say never to spray water on it becuase that will crack the weld thus making the weld shi%y. Try getting some scrap metal ie junk yard anywhere and practice on that first as a welder for 18 years I could just jump in on it but you should practice first or take a class at a community college welding is not for everyone but if you get the hang of it you will be the talk of your area o he knows how to weld and you will be having everybody want you to weld stuff for them. Good luck but never spray water on it. just let it cool then start agian

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Positive. If you spray water on something that hot, you're going to warp it or worse crack it. You need to just let it cool down by itself.

stevieb

Established Member
I would suggest disconnecting the ECM and place your ground clamp as close as possible to your work area so current is not going all over seeking ground. It may be overkill but if it prevents phantom electrical problems or even ecm failures, that makes life easier.

Users who are viewing this thread