A few Vortech and Maf / Injector Questions

green99_svt

Established Member
Im in the process of doing a vortech peice together kit. Its going on a 99 cobra with a stock longblock engine with Fr500 cams. and 55k miles. Im shooting for 450 rwhp. i figure i can get close to that on non intercooled 8psi. future upgrade would be to add a front mount. i have a few questions on how to get there.

i plan to find a try and find a used or if not buy a new V3 SCI head unit. I personally like the self contained vs the oil lines of the V-2. am i off base here or is that a good head unit for what im looking to do. i would not be apposed to a v2 if there is a better suited compressor for my application available

My other question comes in on the Maf and injector selection. which is better a blow through or a draw through for this application? i dont want to have issues pegging the meter or injectors so im thinking 47's and a aftermarket maf. is this overkill? would terminator 39's and 90mm maf or the lightning 42's and lmaf be a better choice, they cost less but not if i have to replace them if they are too small.

Ive done a bit of reading please tell me what you think about this setup

stiffler197

Hollow Point Racing
Established Member
I would do the fmic with the blower and go blow thru MAF and at least 42# injectors

01yellercobra

Established Member
It really depends on your goals. If the plan is to step up the boost then get 60lb injectors. They can be tuned for a lower power level and give you room to grow. Go with the blow through MAF. It's better for driveability. Go a little bigger on the MAF as well. I like my BA5000.

antcjr

Established Member
You seem to have a good idea on it already.

To address the V3 versus V2 they're the same blower except of course the self contained vs non self contained. Good idea on leaning towards V3.

Now for the MAF and Injectors I would recommend putting the front mount intercooler on the same time as you put the blower on. i say this because you pretty much have to be draw through when you're non-intercooled. So you would have to be draw through while non-intercooled and then convert to blow through when you put the front mount on and then probably retune. 42s are a good choice and there is a lot of choices for blow through. i would ask your tuner what they like maybe?

JUICEDL

Established Member
^ this. I did the cxracing fmic, 42's, hpx slot meter from vmp and a 340 pump on my mach 1. Driveability is near stock.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
As others have said, if you can swing the $$$ for a FMIC now, that is your best bet. If not, a non-intercooled setup at fairly low boost will still add quite a bit of power and will be safe if tuned correctly. Also, as far as injectors, the 39's from an 03-04 Cobra can be picked up for $100-125 and will support as much power as the stock longblock can take, and they are plug and play. Some 42's will require connector adapters. As others have mentioned, if adding an intercooler get a blow-thru MAF, if non-intercooled, a draw-thru.

Here is my thread with some tips with what I learned when piecing a kit together - http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...percharger-install-1999-cobra-story-tips.html

Mach828

Established Member
I went with a front mount treadstone, 39lb cobra injectors, division x 340 pump, and the hpx maf. Blow through with the Tial 50 Q bov.

Driveability is like stock. That HPX maf setup was pricey, but well worth it. My MAF table looks like a thing of beauty.

green99_svt

Established Member
Excellent. A lot of good advice. I think I will go with a slot type blow through. If I don't go intercooled right away can I weld a slot bung into the vortech charge pipe?

Black4v I have read your posts and got a lot of good info from there on the bracket / spacers. I have a 98 bracket and the idler and spacers. I have yet to buy the hardware. Looks like I can get the long stud and bolts online and the others at ace.. Might be better off ordering it all for 75 for the trouble it would take to buy it seperate.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Excellent. A lot of good advice. I think I will go with a slot type blow through. If I don't go intercooled right away can I weld a slot bung into the vortech charge pipe?

Black4v I have read your posts and got a lot of good info from there on the bracket / spacers. I have a 98 bracket and the idler and spacers. I have yet to buy the hardware. Looks like I can get the long stud and bolts online and the others at ace.. Might be better off ordering it all for 75 for the trouble it would take to buy it seperate.

Glad my posts have helped out, let me know if you have any other questions about install or parts.

One thing I didn't mention is that you need a coolant crossover and the Vortech piece is $400 new. If I hadn't gotten mine used for $100, I would have considered a crossover delete like this MMR crossover delete

Last edited:

green99_svt

Established Member
I'm going to get the procharger crossover.
I've read they are a little more reasonable on the price.

Mach828

Established Member
You can't really run a blow through setup without the intercooler. The pipe from the blower straight to the TB will be too short. The curves, bov, throttle body, plus the MAF housing will all be too close together. The air will be turbulent, and it will be more difficult to tune, you are better off going draw through with a bypass if you must run it nonintercooled.

If you are set on no intercooler you loose the benefit that comes with a centri, the lowest air intake temps you can get. Hot air means less power and more risk. The intercooler is great because my air temps stay low pull after pull.

Crossover delete is your best bet. Don't forget you need to buy the vortech water pump pulley, they are hard to find. You have to replace one of the idlers as well, I found a dayco one that was the same size as the vortech one.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Crossover delete is your best bet. Don't forget you need to buy the vortech water pump pulley, they are hard to find. You have to replace one of the idlers as well, I found a dayco one that was the same size as the vortech one.

The "Vortech" water pump pulley I got from Superchargersonline was actually a Ford part, and the part number was stamped on it. As I recall it was a smooth pulley and a bit bigger than stock, though I never write down the number. My car is coming out of storage on Sunday and I will try to get it.

Edit - this part http://www.cjponyparts.com/water-pump-pulley-oem-4-6l-1996-2001/p/WPP8/ is the same as the Vortech water pump pulley and it costs $30 less from Ford

Here is the "Vortech" piece - http://www.superchargersonline.com/...uct_info&cPath=510_1071_1072&products_id=5348

Last edited:

green99_svt

Established Member
The smooth mark viii pulley is part number f3ly-8509-a, it lists for 50 and I've seen them on ebay for 40. I got it for 35 through a hook up.

Users who are viewing this thread